Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27800 - 06/24/01 05:58 AM Pamplona...What day(s)???
LowBro1 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I know that Pamplona is the place to be during the second week of July...My question is...What is/are the best day(s) to be there...Is there any particular day that is better than the others...I'm pretty much screwed for finding accomodations, so I may as well be screwed on the right day or days...

Thanks people...

#27801 - 06/24/01 07:46 AM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
San Fermin is July 7th. The San Fermines begin on the evening of the 6th and continue thru the 13th. I think the first encierro (running of the bulls) is around 7 AM on the 7th. As for what are the best days to be there, it depends: Do you follow any special Torero? Do you want to see Bulls of a certain breed (ex. Miura) or from a certain breeder/ranch? Then you'll need a complete Cartel. Someone else may have to help you with that.

Don't ever pull a bull's tail during the encierro. It will make the animal turn its neck and could result in a pulled shoulder muscle, making the bull more dangerous when it is in the Ruedo later in the day. Some aficionados have been known to make people who do things like pulling the bull's tail regret their action (con puñetazos). mad

#27802 - 06/24/01 05:27 PM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
LowBro1 Offline

I have not been known to cheer for any Torero in particular, nor have I been know to be too choosy about the Bull's breed...And as for the breeder/rancher, I have yet to notice any difference...Then again, I have never been to a bull-fight, San Fermin, or Spain for that matter...

Given that I am (how shall I say) Bullfight-challenged, I had no idea what to expect other than what I have experienced on TV...Hordes of crowds, crazy people in white running away from the bulls, and general pandemonium...

I guess I should try to approach this more like watching hockey...Cheer for my favorite player or my favorite team...Or maybe cheer for the player that is from my hometown...I think I've got the gist of it...

Now if I can only find a place to stay.!.!.!

By the way Eddie...When you say "Don't ever pull a bull's tail during the encierro," are you speaking from a rough experience??? Or are you just passing on some key information...

#27803 - 06/24/01 10:38 PM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
Chip Offline

If you're planning to run (which I recommend highly), try to make it on a weekday. The crowds in the encierro on Saturdays have become so large that you are in much more danger of being trampled by people than injured by a bull.

This year, the Feria starts over a weekend and a lot of people who come in will only be there for the weekend. Shoot for Tuesday through Thursday this year (i.e. 10, 11, 12). Fewer people mean better possibility of finding a room as well. You will be offered rooms when you get off the train. Try to get something in town as many people offer rooms in nearby towns that are only accessible by car (they say they will have a van to pick you up at a certain time, but believe me, once you get started you will not want to go wait for a van at midnight).

If you're truly game, just sleep in the Parks (people are always set up in the little square in front of the Tres Reyes hotel). There is a public bath and you can safely leave your luggage at "Left Luggage" offices at the train or bus stations.

As far as pulling the bull's tail -- definitely a bad move. Ideally you should not even touch them, only allow their horns to pass closely by your body. The bulls have herders called "Pastores" following them along the run who will whack you with their long canes if they even think you might touch a bull. It's painful.

Definietly go and have fun no matter what. I see you at Txoko after the run for a ron y vainilla. wink

#27804 - 06/25/01 02:39 AM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
LowBro1 Offline

Thanks for the details Chip and Eddie...You've filled things in for me quite nicely...

#27805 - 06/25/01 06:15 PM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I agree with the weekday approach. Most revelers aren't savvy enough to even know that the festival is eight/nine days. They show in the afternoon on the 6th, run on the 7th, and leave by nightfall. That has changed somewhat, though.

When I last ran, we got in on the 8th, and the run was still pretty full (even for a weekday).

As far as activities go, there's a full slate every day, so the only thing you miss by showing on after the 6th is the huge mob in front of city hall on the 6th as the festival is officially "opened" by the mayor. That is a spectacle to behold...but perhaps on a subsequent trip.

Here's a little tip on "safe" lodging: We had friends, but realized that if you could buzz yourself into ANY building (if you push a mid-floor apartment and say "propaganda", they think you're distributing leaflets to the mailboxes, and let you in, or if you say in a kid's voice "soy Iñaki" they'll think you're a kid who pushed the wrong button) ;), you could go to the top floor, and sleep on the highest landing (when you're at the top, traffic is less or non-existent, and that way you're unmolested as you rest. You would probably be okay stashing your gear while you're there too, but maybe getting your stuff swiped is too much adventure...

There's a thread on this in the About Spain section, if my memory serves me well...

#27806 - 06/26/01 02:31 AM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
LowBro1 Offline

And I thank-u 2, CaliBasco...

#27807 - 06/27/01 01:22 PM Re: Pamplona...What day(s)???
Chip Offline

Let me second CaliBasco's innovative approach to lodging. Although you might get tossed out of a hallway, people seem a little more tolerant during the Feria and might let you sleep on the floor for a few hours. Just keep smiling. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1684 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments