Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26518 - 12/31/00 08:23 PM I'm looking for a particular musician
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Several months ago on Maryland's Public TV very late at night I saw the end of a concert entitled M.......(his name) Live from Madrid. It was a very handsome young Spanish(I believe) man with an extremely large and unusual assemblage of musicians and instruments doing music that was very different from anything I have heard. He was playing some instrument that he held on his hip(was this a giata?)The concert was evidently well attended so I'm assuming he is some popular New Age type musician. I'm intriqued and would love it if someone may know who this is.I'm not 100% possitive the name started with M, but I think so.Thank you

#26519 - 01/01/01 05:14 AM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Gaita (Gallega) makes me think of Carlos Nun~ez who played the Uillean pipes for several years with the Chieftains Irish folk group. He is also accomplished on several other (mainly wind) instruments.
When I was there (Santiago de Compostela and Vigo) for Santiago in '99, I saw concerts by musical groups playing some instruments like I had never seen before.
If it was Carlos, it's not 'New Age;' it's a folkloric revival of traditional old Celtic music and instruments.
P.S.
You can buy a CD entitled 'Santiago' on which Carlos plays with the Chieftains. His picture is on the 'jacket,' so you will know if it was him.
There's another group called Milladoiro (or something similar) that plays the same type music.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 01-01-2001).]

#26520 - 01/01/01 10:14 AM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
karenwishart Offline

Thanks...I did hate using those words New Age. The music was just so unusual and my experience w/Celtic folk in fledgling stage. With a trip to Spain coming in June I was excited to find celtic music turning up there. I will definately be looking to find some concert or other music venues.I'll be in either Gallacia or Alicante region and then in Palencia. Any suggestions where to find event listings closer to my time of travel? Happy New Year Karen

#26521 - 01/01/01 12:27 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
There is an artist known as Hevia who is selling lots of albums in Spain and playing some sort of gaita. We just got the compilation Boom 2000 that has current hits in English and Spanish, and it had a great instrumental hit from Hevia called "Tanzila".

For Celtic music, no band (from the UK, Ireland, or Spain) is better than the Celtic rock band Celtas Cortos. Their best albums are "Gente Impresentable" y "Tranquilo Majete" or their live album "Nos vemos en los bares".

#26522 - 01/01/01 01:11 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hey caminante, where did you find Boom 2000? I got Boom 1999 in Spain but is there somewhere in the states or a web site where I could find the 2000 one? Thanks

#26523 - 01/01/01 06:56 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Majesty, I found it in Spain last week. I don't think you'll find it in the US. If you can find it online, let me know where.

#26524 - 01/02/01 06:46 AM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Karen:
Galicia & Alicante are two different worlds; although there is a thru Talgo that connects them. I think it just runs one day a week.
For more info on Galicia, try http://www.galinor.es
As I recall, there's a Gaita competition in late Spring (in Vigo, I think). There's an Irish Nightclub (not a 'Pub' because it doesn't open until about 9PM) called 'Dublin,' it's very close to Vigo's Renfe station, and it's where the Chieftains recorded part of their 'Santiago' album.

If you are in Vigo around Santiago (25 Jul) go to Plaza de Compostela for free concerts

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 01-02-2001).]

#26525 - 01/02/01 04:38 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Karen,

I guess you are talking about Hevia . He is a musician from Asturias and he became really popular two years ago, I think. He invented what he called "la gaita MIDI" (the "MIDI" bagpipe").

Hevia sold more than 1,650,000 copies of his first album, as you can see here . His music is a kind of celtic / electronic music.

Carlos Nuñez is also one of the best bagpipers you can find. He is from Vigo and he's been around for quite a long time, playing with other celtic groups.

Another well-known bagpiper is Cristina Pato .

An interesting compilation of celtic music is Naciones Celtas .

Other well-known Spanish groups include La Musgaña and Luar na lubre (Mike Olfield made one of their songs very popular).

Oh, and check out these links I've found: La página de la música folk and http://www.radiorabel.com/lacasadelson/grupos.htm

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#26526 - 01/02/01 10:49 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
La Musgaña! They were in the US 2 or 3 years ago, and I saw them in concert at Longwood Gardens here in Pennsylvania. Their music is excellent. They are very professional and dedicated to their music. Nice guys, too - I talked with them a bit after the concert. I have a cassette of theirs called Las Seis Tentaciones, which I just unearthed, and will now have to listen to again!

#26527 - 01/03/01 06:54 PM Re: I'm looking for a particular musician
karenwishart Offline

Thanks all of you for the info on these various musicians. At least now I have some names to give the PBS Station and they may be able to find which one I had heard. Anyway I feel I have a wealth of new names to look for and am really looking forward to some live concerts while in Spain this summer. I'd enjoy hearing about any great places to hear traditional music while there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1859 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments