Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26474 - 12/18/00 05:00 PM special restaurant (Madrid)
markmoore Offline

My wife and I are visting Madrid in Feb for our 10th wedding anniversary. I want to take my wife out to a special restaurant. Could somebody reccomend a place which has great food,service and ideal for this occaision.

#26475 - 12/18/00 05:24 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Some people recommended Botin (right off the Plaza mayor). It would probably do OK for you, but I bet the board can come up with better ideas.... everyone? centrally located, nice restaurants?

#26476 - 12/18/00 05:31 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi markmoore! Please check/correct your email address in your PROFILE. Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26477 - 12/18/00 05:44 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
For a first time visitor, I think Botin would be fine. As noted, it is not the best food in Madrid, but that is a judgment made by the super picky. Most restaurants in Madrid are better than most restaurants in andy city in the USA. Certainly Botin's cuchinillo and cordero are more than acceptable. The "bodega" downstairs, has enough romantic atmosphere to suit anyone. Not a bad place to start any Madrid restaurant tour.

Cuchinllo may be heavy and a bit hard to absorb if eating late--it's probably best at lunch. At night I'd choose cordero asado--and start with the thick white asparagus with the house-made mayo.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 12-18-2000).]

#26478 - 12/19/00 05:33 AM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Pato Mudo at the Hotel Diana near Barajas. Their specialties are rice dishes from Paella Valenciana all the way to Vegetarian rice: I would give them 3-stars.
BTW
Don't translate 'Pato Mudo' into English.

#26479 - 12/19/00 09:39 AM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
Guapetona Offline

Casa De Valencia is a great choice. The service is wonderful and the paella is even better. I think most will agree its hard to find good paella once you leave El Levante.
Paseo Pintor Rosales, 58.

#26480 - 12/19/00 02:39 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Why don't you try a COCIDO MADRILENO at Restaurant La Bola in la bola street. You will thank me upon your return, but do it at lunch time and get a reservation first. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

#26481 - 12/19/00 10:27 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
afuegolento Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Try La Broche(Calle Miguel Angel #29-31)at the Hotel Occidental Miguel Angel. Reservations are a must 399 34 37. Hours are from 1:30-4:00pm Mon.-Fri. and then 9:15-11:30pm. If you take the Metro get off at estacion Gregorio Maranon.
The Michellin Red Guide to restaurants(Spain and Portugal) which was just published this month gave it two stars, three being the max. Only Arzak Restaurant in San Sebastian and two other restaurants also in San Sebastian received three.
The decor, all white by the way, is out of this world, literally. The food and service magnificient.

#26482 - 12/20/00 04:32 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
There is a very small restaurant near Serrano and it is very romantic. It is call La Gallete, Cocina Barroca (there is another Gallete that is not that romantic). I took my husband there when we were dating. It is very small and has only a few tables, you feel like you are alone. The waiters are not on top of you the whole time so you can have a conversation. The music is good and they have the menu in English. It is the best place for a romantic dinner. I'll try to find the name of the street.
Besos...Nuria

#26483 - 12/20/00 11:00 PM Re: special restaurant (Madrid)
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
Go to Botins. Ask to have a table down stairs. Its historic, romantic, Hemingway ...It may be a bit overrated and well known by tourists but I am sure you will enjoy it (and its right off the Plaza Mayor). Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1584 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments