Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25982 - 09/29/00 05:29 PM anyone eaten "principes"?
migey Offline

Loc: va, usa
when i traveled to spain 2 years ago i tried the spanish cookies called pricipes. they were awsome. i bought them everywhere i went!! they came in all different flavors(of filling). has anyone else had these? and more importantly, is there anywhere in the us that they can be found? i would do almost anything to get some. fill me in!!!!!!!

#25983 - 09/29/00 08:15 PM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Migey,

Well, I'm not sure if we're thinking about the same thing, but the brand "Lu," which makes the cookies I'm thinking about that we ate all the time in Spain, does import and sell the same cookies here in southeastern Pennsylvania. They do have filled cookies as well. I buy them in Acme supermarkets. They're not always placed in the cookie aisle, but are treated more like gourmet cookies, and they're displayed on overhead shelves in other parts of the store. (I hate that practice - keep the cookies with the cookies.) So do look around - you may find what you're looking for!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 09-29-2000).]

#25984 - 10/01/00 10:57 AM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about, and they are wonderful! They are very thin and packaged in a plastic roll, right? The family that I lived with in Spain would send them with me every time I traveled. I have not seen them in the US, but I did see something that looked similar. They were packaged the same way (but in red plastic) and imported from Germany, I think the brand was "Hit" but I'm not sure on that. I didn't try them (I am trying to get rid of the little piece of Spain that came home with me because of all of the grest food there!) but the picture on the package looked right.

#25985 - 10/01/00 09:52 PM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Ah, Príncipe cookies...they were sooooo good and so light. And so cheap! I've tried the "Hit" cookies and although they are somewhat similar of course they are not the same. But they are a decent substitute, and better than nothing ¿verdad?

#25986 - 10/02/00 01:36 PM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
connie Offline

Actually, I think the principes brand is a Belgium (from DeBeukelaer) and not a Spanish brand. They sell these cookies all over Europe. I personally do not note a difference between them and Hit from the German company Bahlsen. I saw Bahlsen products in the US (highly overpriced), but I did not see the type from DeBeukelaer.

[This message has been edited by connie (edited 10-02-2000).]

#25987 - 10/02/00 01:55 PM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I always find Hit on sale for a buck! Perfect for a little merienda con café con leche!

#25988 - 10/02/00 03:58 PM Re: anyone eaten "principes"?
migey Offline

Loc: va, usa
thanks for all your great responses! i would also like to say that there IS A VERY significant diference between HIT and principes. they are no substiute. i will continue my quest. i plan on following up on that lead in PA. thanks!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2056 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments