Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33602 - 06/11/07 03:46 PM Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
joycenj Offline

Is it appropriate to take teenagers (ages 13 and 15) to a Flamenco show? Keeping this in mind, which one would you recommend for us to see?

#33603 - 06/11/07 04:43 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
When I was a teenager I used to hate flamenco I found it boring. I simply couldn't understand it. I can say that the majority of Spanish teenagers don't like pure and genuine flamenco although they love flamenco mixed with pop/rock music.
MadridMan who attended Suma Flamenca Festival in Madrid can tell you if he saw many teenagers.
Anyway I think it is something to experience. As we say in Spain "they don't have anything to loose for it".

#33604 - 06/11/07 04:47 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Is it appropriate for teenagers? Absolutely! It's certainly not INappropriate, nothing risque going on there, no drunkards stumbling about, no brawling, and no smoking in some of the places. Most of those which do allow smoking have smoking sections.

As for WHICH one you should see, I can't say. I've only been to shows at Café de Chinitas and last Friday night to Corral de la Morería . I liked them both. Chinitas has a smoking section (which is closer to the stage than most of the non-smoking section) but Morería is totally smoke-free. Chinitas is near Plaza de España while Morería is more-or-less near the Almudena Cathedral, across the Viaducto. Chinitas is more traditional while Morería is more rustic. Both are priced about 30 Euros per person which includes your first drink.

UPDATE: I don't think I saw (m)any teenagers at the Suma Flamenca festival shows but these were mainly non-touristy performances, catering to the in-the-know mature Spaniard. The flamenco tablaos, on the other hand, cater to the tourist crowds. There, I've rarely seen teenagers. The youngest are probably in their early 20s. While I can understand that Spanish teenagers don't like flamenco I think foreign teenagers would enjoy it more. Plus, if you don't think your teenagers will enjoy it it's risky to spend 30 Euros per person (3 teenagers X 30 € = 90€). Girl teenagers might likely enjoy it more than boy teenagers - although the boys would certainly find something enjoyable about it. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33605 - 06/11/07 11:21 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I've traveled with teenage students before, and both the girls and the boys enjoyed a flamenco performance. We were in Sevilla and I think for some of them it was a welcome respite after the culture shock of a bullfight earlier in the day! In any case, click here for an article from the British newspaper The Independent about flamenco in Madrid.

#33606 - 06/12/07 04:06 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I agree with la historiadora. I have taken high school students to a flamenco show each time I take a trip abroad with students, and they LOVE it! I hesitated last year when we were in Barcelona because I thought it would be too touristy, but we went anyway. Happily, it was a good show (not great, but good) and the kids really enjoyed it.

joyceny, you don't mention where you plan to see Flamenco. If you are down in Andalucía you will be so fortunate to see some great flamenco. The two places MadridMan mentions are good places in Madrid, but I have also been to Casa Patas which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was there with my family, not the high school group.

My own daughters, who are 12 and 17, adore flamenco. Just today they both said that Chambao was one of their favorite singers! They also love the dancing too and we try to see a show at least once a year, in Spain or here in NY.

#33607 - 06/12/07 04:26 PM Re: Flamenco in Madrid with teenagers
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I love Chambao too but it is not pure flamenco it is flamenco-fusion, mixing pop, jazz, salsa, chill out.....
I love Cesarea Evora, nice mix with Chambao.
Thanks for the link Esperanza.

If you like Chambao you'll love Ojos de Brujo.
http://www.ojosdebrujo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1895 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments