Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33491 - 04/08/07 08:13 AM Gallego food in madrid
viva_espana Offline

Loc: Maine
I am gallego, but live in Maine. My parents are from a town around Vigo, and always cook gallego food. I am only going to Madrid in june for a week and I was wondering if there is a gallego restaurant in madrid.Does anybody know of a good place?

#33492 - 04/08/07 08:45 AM Re: Gallego food in madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
viva_espana, My family is also from Galicia and we are also fans of Galician good-cooking. Our favorite "authentic" Galician restaurant in Madrid is Maceiras on C/Huertas,66. They have another location around the corner at C/Jesús,7.
I would recommend getting there before 9 pm to get a table. It gets quite crowded and stays crowded all night! The Caldo gallego is very good, the pimientos de Padrón are excellent,the Ribeiro and Albariño wines, the tabla de quesos gallegos, queimada and filloas for dessert! If you get to go, I think you will be happy!

#33493 - 04/08/07 10:07 AM Re: Gallego food in madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Queimada must be made with genuine Orujo and the Invocation must be recited while it is being prepared!

There was another similar post on this forum and it pointed to a Gallego Restaurant just down the hill from Santo Domingo.

My most recent trip I connected with a flight to Santiago de Compostela after my arrival at Barajas. We have relatives in LaGuardia (Rosal). Why don't you go to Pontevedra while you are there. rolleyes There are a couple of good restaurants at La Pedra in Vigo. One is Owned & Operated by a couple from la Argentina.

#33494 - 04/08/07 06:05 PM Re: Gallego food in madrid
jabch Offline

Who would know..when I was a child my father always had on the bar counter that thing shown on the photo and the queimada conxuro hanging from the wall. He brought it all the way from Spain, kept it in good shape until... I broke it!! frown I did not know it was a Gallego thing...

#33495 - 04/10/07 01:40 PM Re: Gallego food in madrid
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
By the way, if you are curious about what that magical invocation (conxuro) says, the English Wikipedia\'s Queimada page has both the original Galician text and its translation to English.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments