Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32165 - 03/15/05 11:37 AM Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
I did a search both here and on the internet and really didn't find the answer to my questions. So hopefully those here in the know can help out.

Right now I'm just considering ideas and options for things to do in Madrid. I was thinking of perhaps taking in a soccer game. I mean, what's a trip to Europe without soccer, right? Admittedly, I know little to nothing about the game (I know there is a ball, that hands can't be used, the object is to kick the ball into the net, and the goalie gets to wear a different colored uniform - how did I do? smile ), but I normally like sporting events of all kinds and usually find myself getting caught up in the excitment of those around me and learning at the same time.

I've checked the internet, and found the web site for Real Madrid, but I cannot find a schedule of games. We will be in Madrid in early October and the schedule only lists until May. So, I'm assuming soccer season in Spain ends in May/June? When does it start up again? And how soon are schedules posted to the web site? Would it be easier to try to purchase tickets in advance? I've read on here where people have had difficulty ordering tickets either from the States or using American credit cards. Is this true? It appears that one can order tickets in advance and they will send them to the hotel. How reliable is this? Oh, and when are the games normally played? We will be arriving in Madrid on Sunday, October 2. Time is completely up in the air as we will be driving. Getting to the stadium early in the day is not going to happen, I don't think.

Would it be better for us to see the Atleticos instead? Easier to get tickets? Opinions? Ideas?

I'm also contemplating seeing a bullfight, though I don't know if that would go over real well with my S/O. I've seen one in Mexico and really enjoyed myself. (Again, I was relatively clueless, but got caught up in the pagentry and the excitment of the crowd!) However, when I mentioned I had seen a bullfight before, my S/O got a bit, um, weird about it. He could not see how some one who loves animals as much as I do could sit through a bullfight and enjoy it. Go figure, I did.

From what I can determine, bullfights are still happening in October, correct? I'm a little confused on times, though. It seems that they are mostly in the afternoons/early evenings? Can one purchase advance tickets, or is it okay to show up before the fight to purchase tickets? And, if there is a soccer game in town, does that mean there is no bullfight? (I know where I live, they will not typically have two big sporting events at the same time.)

Another long post, I know, but any ideas, suggestions, opinions are definitely appreciated!!

#32166 - 03/15/05 03:32 PM Re: Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Chele, I don't know much about bullfighting, but I believe there are not many in October. Maybe some forum member bullfighting fan can advise u better.

About soccer, you guessed right, season ends on May - June, and the new schedule is not published till late August. The season starts on September usually. Watching a soccer game is quite an experience. Real Madrid and Atletico both play in Madrid once each two week period. Usually when Madrid is playing Atlético plays somewhere else and viceversa.

Watching Atletico is cheaper and easier (the stadium is rarely full), and it can be as fun as watching Real Madrid, but of course, Real Madrid has been named as best soccer team in the history by the FIFA.... You choose.

#32167 - 03/15/05 03:38 PM Re: Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
Chele60 Offline

JasMadrid ~ Thank you so much for the response! I've got the web site for Real Madrid bookmarked, so I'll just check back in August and see if we get lucky to be in Madrid the same time as a game is on!

#32168 - 03/15/05 05:56 PM Re: Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
Looks like I've beaten the other Spaniards on this forum to it but I must inform you that here in Spain bullfighting is certainly NOT considered a sport! It's three act tragedy is called "arte" and has the stuff of Aeschylus. You'll need Spanish to get your way around it but www.portaltaurino.com may be able to give you an idea of what "corridas" will be taking place in Madrid in October.

#32169 - 03/16/05 08:48 AM Re: Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
Hello again Chele, on a completely unrelated search I came across a website that may prove useful for your soccer/bullfighting needs, its www.spanish-fiestas.com and provides some info about how to get tickets. It also outlines rough dates for festivals throughout Spain. Good luck on the search...

#32170 - 03/16/05 11:54 AM Re: Soccer or Bullfight in Madrid....
Chele60 Offline

Berzabuena ~ Both web sites are terrific! And I really need to practice my Spanish, so no problem there.

Thank you so much for the information. I'm looking forwarding to reviewing the information!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments