Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31858 - 11/29/04 12:39 AM No wine please
DJC Offline

Loc: Texas
I hate to admit it to you folks, but I don't like the taste of wine or most other alcohol. Is the cider in northern Spain that you read about fermented like Apple jack or just a fruit juice? Since Spain has large lime and lemon crops, can you get those wonderful limeades like you can in Mexico? Asking for a Dr. Pepper in a tapas bar hardly seems the thing to do!

#31859 - 11/29/04 02:53 AM Re: No wine please
Anonymous
Unregistered

In all of Spain you can get cider, but you can find it much more easily and more natural in the North, specially in Asturias.

The cider is fermented and has a low percentage of alcohol. The cider you don't buy in Asturias or in a "sidrería" (cider bar), will be sparkling.

If you want it without alcohol, I am afraide you'll have to ask for an apple juice or an apple refreshment like "Trina manzana" or the like.

Of course, you can ask for a lemonade (limade?), but it's pretty uncommon. In summer, people have "sangría" which is kind of a lemonade with wine,instead.

When I don't want to drink alcohol, I am afraid the offer is not very wide: water, refreshments (many of which I don't have, like Coke, because they stain the teeth and have enormous amounts of sugar) and coffe and tea where avaliable.

#31860 - 11/29/04 02:18 PM Re: No wine please
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Two words DJC,

Fanta Limon....um. smile

#31861 - 11/29/04 06:24 PM Re: No wine please
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You may not like the taste of wine, but you might like the Spanish grape juice known as "mosto". It's another nonalcoholic alternative. I think you'll find it a step up from Welch's!

Another great lemon drink is the granizado de limón. It's lemonade in crushed ice, but you won't find it too easily at this time of year. It's a summer drink.

#31862 - 12/05/04 06:57 PM Re: No wine please
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
DJC,

...oh my gosh! eek no wine? I don't know how to answer that... smile

Seriously, have you tried any Spanish rosado wines? In particular, some rosado wines are high in residual sugars, can have also a natural effevescence, and are super-light in alcohol, so they are more like an American-style wine cooler, but much tastier.

*Most* spanish rosado wines are not like white zinfendel ( which is generally a 'fake' rose wine anyway), so be sure to ask for one that is *sweet* or you may not like it.

A specific brand name of rosado that is like what I am describing is 'Landó,' from a winery in Valdepeñas called Arúspide. Another really nice one is 'Barbarosa' from the Peces-Barba bodega near Toledo. These wines are from the Tempranillo ( aka, Cencibel) and Garnacha grape varieties, respectively. Both very unique from the varieties you typically see in the USA.

These wines are like liquid strawberry and fresh red fruits. *SO* delicious, and should be available in Madrid.

Most rosado wines in Spain are not like those above, but these are being developed for the younger market, and to appeal to those who are like you and do not generally prefer the 'alcohol' taste...

Anyway, I adore wine and just had to make these suggestions to you ( and everyone)! I hope you can try them! laugh

andrew

#31863 - 12/06/04 08:32 PM Re: No wine please
DJC Offline

Loc: Texas
If I am going to try cargoles and arroz negro (shudder at the thought of squid ink!!!), I can at least try the rosada wine. This trip is going to be memorable in many ways.

#31864 - 12/07/04 05:30 AM Re: No wine please
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

The vast majority of Spanish Rosados have the same amount of alcohol content as other wines (11-13% by volume), so you would be hard-pressed (excuse the pun) to find a super-light one. Still, I would agree with Andrew that rosés are often the best choice to introduce a person to wine. They are not as strong as reds and less acidic than whites. A lot of regions make decent rosados, but the most famous are Navarra, Cigales and Utiel-Requena. Serve them chilled.

Another possibility is a semi-dulce (semi-sweet) wine. A lot of Spaniards don't like them because the Spanish aren't very fond of sweet wines, which is ironic because they traditionally have made some of the best in the world. Still, a semi-sweet is a nice compromise because it isn't as sweet as a dessert wine and not a strong as a regular one. A very common one is a Rioja called Diamante. Experts will say it's nothing to write home about, but I think it's very drinkable and it's popular with visitors too.

If you feel like it, give it a try. Spanish wine and its world is fascinating and the variety is bewildering.

#31865 - 12/07/04 05:45 AM Re: No wine please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, we don't have sweet wines usually, but we can enjoy them. Many have "Jerez dulce" or "Málaga Virgen" or the like for Sundays appetitizer at home or so. My grandma always gave me some when I was teenager, with some waffels that I dipped into it (I wouldn't now, haha).

Now, I don't have the custom to enjoy them, but from time to time I do, along with vermouth "de grigo", much better than the bottle one.

#31866 - 12/07/04 11:53 AM Re: No wine please
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little the part about Spaniards not liking sweet wine, but not by much. A lot of times when I offer a Spaniard one they say it's all right, but "muy dulzón". Still, they do have their fans and are making a modest but noticeable comeback in the Spanish market. I think many of them are excellent and should be promoted more. Spain's very reputation as a wine producer was built on them during the 15th to 18th centuries.

And you're right about the vermouth del grifo. There's another choice. It's a classic Sunday aperitivo in Madrid.

#31867 - 12/18/04 10:34 AM Re: No wine please
Quevedo Offline

Loc: New York City
DJC - A few suggestions for drinks with tapas in Spain might be a wine drink called "tinto de verano" which is red wine cut with a very light citrus infused sparkling water called "gaseosa". You mention that you don't like most alcohol, but just in case you really mean "wine" when you say this, you should know that beer is probably a more common drink than wine in most tapas bars. Spanish beers are good, too!

- Quevedo

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1849 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments