Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31726 - 10/21/04 11:43 AM Christmas in Madrid/Spain
kmjmmm Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
I would like to spend Christmas in Madrid or somewhere in Spain with husband and daughter. Can anyone help with advise. What is open in the city Christmas eve? is it lively? Are there cafes or bars open before a midnight mass? after? Is midnight mass a tradition? any church suggestions? (all religions are acceptable). What will be open Christmas day? Markets? restaurants? entertainment?

#31727 - 10/21/04 05:35 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid/Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe someone can give better advice. I believe most comerces and cafés will be closed.

#31728 - 10/22/04 08:29 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid/Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I did a search under "Christmas in Madrid" - the following link for the search results will provide you with tons of info ...
http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

#31729 - 12/04/04 06:52 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid/Spain
englishrose Offline

Loc: England
I have had the delight of spending Christmas in Spain 3 times. I found the most festive place was in Llort de Mar. Lloret has a lovely shopping area with a church in the middle and I remember it looked so so festive... a real joy to see. Nearly ever shop was open through Christmas and New Year... I would return back there again.

The place that wasnt so good over Christmas and New year was Salou. Apart form hotels, there wasnt much there to do. We had to travel out every day.

#31730 - 12/04/04 12:32 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid/Spain
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Like many places in the world, Christmas is a very festive time in Madrid, but Christmas Eve itself is generally very quiet. Shops close earlier than usual (6:00 pm) and even the metro shuts early that evening...or at least it used to (Can anyone confirm?). Between nine and twelve in the evening almost everyone who can be at home is at home celebrating Noche Buena with family. Restaurants, bars and cafés are shut and the city comes to a near standstill.

Obviously hotels will accommodate their guests with a nice Christmas dinner, but don't expect the capital to be particularly lively. In fact, it will be a lot less lively than most days.

Still, with the Christmas lights in the streets, everything looks nice. You can even visit one street where they decided to hang up random lighted words. It's very unusual and very controversial because no one really knows why the City has done it or what it's supposed to mean!

Years ago, Madrid would have been shut down all night and all the next day, but nowadays you can find more and more bars opening up after midnight.

Midnight mass is held at most churches too. You can try the Cathedral La Almudena, La Iglesia de Jesus de Medinaceli, or San Manuel y San Benito (Two names, but one church). They're nice, but you will probably be surprised how solemn Christmas masses can be in Spain. At least, that's the impression I get. Considering how expressive the Spanish can be, they seem surprisingly reserved on such a joyous day. Would anyone agree?

There are other things to do, but it kind of depends on exactly what you're looking for, the age of your daughter, etc. Remember Christmas festivities tend to get started later than in the U.S. but they go on longer, all the way until January 6th.

Hope this gives you a little idea. Does anyone have any more to add?

#31731 - 12/05/04 06:59 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid/Spain
englishrose Offline

Loc: England
I must admit that Spain is very quiet over the Christmas spell. Here in the UK more and more places have started to open. Nearly all eating houses/restaurants/pubs and certain shops are open Christmas day.

When I stayed in Lloret der Mar, it was wonderful to see shops open, maybe because this is a holiday resort?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1654 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments