Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31717 - 10/19/04 02:17 AM goat meat?
DJC Offline

Loc: Texas
The best goat meat in the US comes from "Spanish goats," uncrossed with Boers. Does anyone know a good place in Madrid, Seville or Barcelona to eat goat?

#31718 - 10/19/04 05:54 AM Re: goat meat?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Hey DJC--
Check out the Spain board for Egullet.com. There are some very, very knowledgeable food-obsessed folks who post there.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=aa41fcf242ebe56e24ecc4bf7000b4dc&showforum=38

#31719 - 10/19/04 02:56 PM Re: goat meat?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Hey DJC, not a whole lot of Americans eat goat. Then I noticed where you were from...Texas! Ahh yes, now I understand. Im a fellow Texan and I grew up eating cabrito. smile

#31720 - 10/19/04 03:50 PM Re: goat meat?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Cabrito Asado I have eaten in such places as Matamoros (Mexico) tasted very much like the corderito asado (roast suckling lamb) I have eated in Segovia.

In Morocco (and probably in Moroccan restaurants in Spain) meat of baby goats is very popular in Couscous. And they continue to use it as an ingredient until the goat is a 'yearling.'

I can't recall ever having ordered cabrito in Spain but I have probably eaten it, thinking I was eating lamb. I think the meat of suckling goats is almost indistinguishable from that of suckling lambs.

Goat cheese is popular all over Spain. The best comes from Liebana in the mountain regions of Asturias and Cantabria (also where the best Orujo (Aguardiente) comes from.

#31721 - 10/20/04 10:04 AM Re: goat meat?
DJC Offline

Mariposita, thank you for the web-site. I forwarded it to some of my freinds who like to cook. Me, I'm a fried chicken with cream gravey kind of cook. I didn't recognize half the ingredients, but the combinations of some that I did reognize were very unusual -- such as sadines with beets and raspberry ice cream. It was very interesting and eye-opening.

#31722 - 10/20/04 03:23 PM Re: goat meat?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
DJC--
The site that I linked to above is not the cooking forum. It's the Egullet forum for Spain.

If you register, you can post any questions you like about planning the food part of your trip. The more specific you are about what you are interested in, the better the response will be.

If you look back in the posts, you'll see a lot of information on restaurants and markets in Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao and many other parts of Spain. Some are rather intimidating three star kinds of places, but many others are interesting little holes in the wall. You can find the whole spectrum here.

P.S. You would probably love the roast chicken here. You can find it in a lot of little Asturian restaurants.

#31723 - 10/20/04 03:53 PM Re: goat meat?
DJC Offline

I didn't look closely enough at the site. Now I am even more glad to have it.

We are interested in seeing things on our trip like the snail farms that raise the 12 tons of snails for Lleida, the sources of the Designations of Origins for the cheeses, the ham processing in the Aracena area, the chocolate museum, the olive groves and vineyards as well as the historical places and the beauty of the various regions of Spain and Portugal. You can't find information on some of them in the tourist guides.

#31724 - 10/25/04 01:34 AM Re: goat meat?
DJC Offline

For others who might not be familiar with it either, the egullet site referred to above has some interesting information about the country and the forums are worth reading..

#31725 - 10/25/04 02:51 PM Re: goat meat?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
A very good place to eat cabrito and other Extremeño specialities is El Extremeño in Madrid. They have two locations, and I believe one is in Huertas. The food is excellent! The first time I ever had goat was here and now we go back every time we are in Spain (every summer). Buen provecho!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2710 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments