Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31374 - 06/09/04 07:33 PM Barcelona vs Madrid: Flamenco & Bullfights
freespirit Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx
1st trip to Spain. I want to watch a Flamenco dinner show and a bull fight. I have been unable to find any info re: el toro in Barcelona. Recommendations anyone. If I stay in Madrid I would be more inclined to stay an older neighborhood with a less touristy feel (would Huertas be appropriate? Also interested in Casa De Madrid from posting responses.

#31375 - 06/12/04 10:18 AM Re: Barcelona vs Madrid: Flamenco & Bullfights
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Flamenco AND Bullfights are best found in Madrid of the two cities you're considering. In fact, I don't think you'll find a bullfight IN Barcelona city anymore anyway - you'll have to go to a village somewhere outside the city for this. I'm certain there is/was some discussion on where/how to find bullfights near Barcelona here in this category. Try a SEARCH to find it using keywords BULLFIGHT BARCELONA.

You will find Flamenco in BCN for sure but that's kind of like watching Flamenco in Paris, if you ask me - it just seems so "out of place" and unnatural. Flamenco and bullfighting (to some extent) is more indigenous to the central and southern regions of Spain.

Madrid really does have it all for these two "spectacles" - and there are many choices of Flamenco dinner shows. Be forewarned that "flamenco food" has a reputation of not being of the highest quality. That is to say, it's fine, it's edible, just nowhere near as good as you'll find at a normal restaurant. You'll also find a number (MANY!) of threads on Flamenco in Madrid by conducting a search. I've only been to one ( Café de Chinitas ) so I can't be objective not being able to compare it to others. It was fine, entertaining, but we didn't have dinner there only the complimenarty pitcher of sangria and a tapa of olives, I think.

Best of luck and enjoy your time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31376 - 06/13/04 02:24 PM Re: Barcelona vs Madrid: Flamenco & Bullfights
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Flamenco in Madrid definitely, not Barcelona. For the more touristy, dinner show type of thing, go to Cafe de Chinitas. If you want a more intimate spontaneous feel, go to Casa Patas. I forgot the address to Casa Patas, but i'm sure someone else can post that for you.
I've also been to Soleo (?) near the Plaza Mayor and it was more like a tavern with lots of tourists there too. It was fun though.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments