Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28820 - 09/16/03 09:47 AM restaurants suggestions
justretired Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm a month old follower of the forum, and love it! I've been following this forum as well as the Fodors one. and am busily going through books. A quick question about chosing resturants in Spain. In November, my husband and I are visiting Madrid, Seville, Ronda, Arcos, Granada, and Malaga celebrating a combined retirement/anniversary. It is our first time in Spain, though we have traveled quite a bit in France and Italy. There are such long lists of restaurants, with names that sound confusing to someone who is a non-speaking tourist. Actually, my husband does speak Spanish, but since I'm doing most of the planning, I thought I'd ask fellow Madridman followers for favorite places. I know that Spaniards tend to eat their larger meal ar lunch, but do most of you follow this? Any special ideas for a big spluge? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us, Margret

#28821 - 09/16/03 12:56 PM Re: restaurants suggestions
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Have you heard of Lucio? (in Madrid)

Andrés

#28822 - 09/16/03 02:38 PM Re: restaurants suggestions
tora Offline

Hi Margret,

I would absolutely go to a "neighbourhood" restaurant and get the menu del dia - the daily special that normally contains two courses, bread, beer/wine/water and coffee or desert. It's great value for money, and it's also very typically Spanish. Our favourite lunch place in Madrid is called "Madrid Madriz", and it's just next to metro Tribunal, on c/Fuencarral. It's always packed with locals, has friendly staff, and a nice choice of dishes. The price is 7.50 euros for the menu - you can get cheaper, but I doubt you can get better.

There's another lunch place in Madrid that I've heard about that's supposed to be super, but I haven't tried it. It's just off Gran Via, on c/Caballero de Gracia (or it might be c/de los Jardines, it's one of the two). This area is more known for its prostitutes than its food, but this restaurant is supposed to be very classy, and there is always a crowd outside trying to get in. I think the price for the full daily menu is 10 euros.

I'd recommend that you get to either of these restaurant fairly early, as they tend to fill up quickly and as the Spanish like their long lunches it might take a while for a table to become free...

#28823 - 10/21/03 05:29 PM Re: restaurants suggestions
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
When I have stayed at Gran Via 15, I would go to the street behind the building to "La Gloria de la Montera", lunch is 6.96 total for a two course plus bread and wine. Linen tablecloths, great service! Dinner goes for approx 16 euros p/p.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2086 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments