Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#29420 - 06/28/02 12:48 AM cookbook recommendations?
berkeley Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA USA
Ok, so we have been back from Spain for a longer time (2.5 weeks) than we were actually there (13 days) but we can't stop talking about how much we miss it & want to go back.... sigh!

Anyway, the main concept for how to deal with this problem is maybe we should go out & get a good cookbook of Spanish food. Anybody have a recommendation for a good one? Especially useful would be something that emphasizes seafood & other stuff besides pork (shocking, I know, but I actually managed to fall in love w/ Spanish food even though I don't eat any form of pork).

We went out for tapas last night at Cesar's in Berkeley, which is really good, but costs about 3x as much as tapas in Spain! Must cook our own.... rolleyes

#29421 - 06/28/02 05:20 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
berkeley, I found a brilliant Spanish cook book, however.........it was in Spain. The musea del prado gift shop sells a fab book in English. If you know anyonne who's going out there, get them to get you one. Other than that, am not sure.

#29422 - 06/28/02 05:43 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Miguelito Offline

I have in home 1080 recetas de cocina de Simone Ortega, although I usually phone my mum.
1069 re cetas de cocina de Carlos Arguiñano is also popular.
There are plenty of webs about cooking with recipes:
www.afuegolento.com
www.guiamiguelin.com
to say two of them

#29423 - 06/28/02 09:24 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Penelope Casas is the author of numerous cookbooks for Spanish food - if I'm not mistaken, she is supposedly the leading author of such. She spent years in Spain (lives in NY) and is married to a Spaniard. Pop onto Amazon.com or La Tienda.com (both accessible from this site) and take look at her books.

The one I have is very easy to follow and Casas' commentary on Spain is delightful -

#29424 - 06/28/02 09:36 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I bougth a book called "The Spanish woman Kitchen" It is in Inglish and has traditional recipes. Sorry, I don't remember the author. You can find it in Barnes&Noble.
Nuria

#29425 - 06/28/02 09:51 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Just went hunting for the title of Casas' book I mentioned - its The Foods and Wine of Spain -

#29426 - 06/28/02 01:44 PM Re: cookbook recommendations?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I followed a few recipe from the penelope casas book, and they were really good. They were all nice and easy to follow!

#29427 - 06/28/02 03:38 PM Re: cookbook recommendations?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Berkeley,

That wonderful online Spanish Products store has several wonderful cookbooks, some of which have already been mentioned above by other members.
Click here La Tienda and you should be able to choose among the many fine titles. I have the Penelope Casas books, I prefer ¡Delicioso! The Regional Cooking of Spain and I like her Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain book a lot.
I plan to buy the Culinaria Spain book to add to my collection. By the way of you decide to buy from La Tienda, click the MadridMan link to La Tienda so he will get the commission. wink

#29428 - 06/28/02 07:59 PM Re: cookbook recommendations?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I agree that Penelope Casas' The Foods and Wines of Spain is a treasure! The recipes are easy to follow and the descriptions and comments about Spain (places and customs) are right on the money! We recently purchased a second copy ( afraid that it may go out of print) to have in our library , since our first copy is splattered with olive oil and such. I have given this book to friends and relatives for presents also. It is a great gift!
BTW: the recipe for leche merengada is amazing! smile
I think I will make some tomorrow, NY is in the middle of a heat wave eek

One more thing: Casas' Tapas book is also quite good. Las albondiguitas al azafrán are a family favorite!

#29429 - 07/02/02 02:54 AM Re: cookbook recommendations?
berkeley Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA USA
wow! Thanks everybody for the tips... I will go check out all your recommendations! Now, if I can just clear out enough time in my life to both cook & eat those luxurious 2-hour meals... *sigh!*

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1965 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments