Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27421 - 04/17/01 03:33 PM Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
When I left for Spain last Dec. 00, I downloaded lots of restaurant's tips and now, with so many postings, it is quite difficult to do a search. I used them as referrals, which surprised my daughter, and most of the referrals were good. For example the seafood restaurant that Antonio recommended "Ribeira do Miño" is an excellent seafood place at a reasonable price for service and quality of food. May be we should create an organized restaurant referrals and probably rate them.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#27422 - 04/17/01 04:52 PM Re: Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
GREAT IDEA! Why don't we just do that here on this thread? Let's try to keep it to "Name", "Price range", "address" and "favorite items"... Here's my A-1 recommendation:

CASA MANOLO
Rúa Traviesa 27, Santiago de Compostela

This restaurant is no longer a secret, but all that means is they've opened another. It looks like nothing from the outside, except for the crowds. When I first ate there in 1988, I was hooked. The seafood plates are great, and when ordered off the "menú del día" you'll eat like a king (it's a favorite stop for pilgrims) for a pittance: Last check had the menú for 800 ptas (August 2000). It's five minutes from the cathedral and you WILL be pleased after eating there.

Here's their secret: Serve incredible food, treat all like family (we met Manolo on more than one occasion, and he was always friendly with us), make the price more than reasonable.

This is BY FAR my favorite restaurant in the ENTIRE country. There's just something special about it, and I can't WAIT to return there next year!

#27423 - 04/17/01 06:04 PM Re: Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
mabella Offline

Loc: miami, fl. usa
calibasco, where in spain is the restaurant?
oops, sorry, I didn't realize Santiago de Compostela was the city, I thought that was part of the street address.
Never mind... rolleyes

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: mabella ]

#27424 - 04/18/01 09:01 AM Re: Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Antonio
Please post the address of "Ribeira do Miño" and there is a metro station close to it. My daughter and I had a difficulty finding the place because the location is not that visible from the main street.

Specialy - Of course seafood (shrimp and oyster-my favorite)
Rating - A-1 for price, quality and service.

#27425 - 05/08/01 03:49 PM Re: Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
El Septimo, c/Diego del Leon # 7 (Madrid) is excellent! Some Spanish friends introduced another board member and myself to El Septimo and everyone agreed - food and wine list very good, ambiance and reasonable prices -

If going from Sol - take Bus 54 ....

#27426 - 04/30/02 09:40 PM Re: Create An Organized Restaurant Referrals
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Regarding Casa Manolo:
I just returned from Santiago and had dinner there one night. I had expected a small, family ran place with local atmosphere. The old restaurant on Rua Traviesa 27 has closed and they have a new restaurant just next door to San Beito church in a lovely square. It is just a 3 minute walk from the old restaurant. The new restaurant is very modern- high ceilings, steel decor, tiered floor, etc... - I felt like I was back in Southern California. In fact the restroom had the most interesting sink that I have ever seen.

The prices were excellent however. If I recall there were about 6 choices each for a first and second course and the total for both was 5.5 euros. A bottle of wine was very reasonable.

I originally wanted the paella (I know not typical of Galicia but I had a craving) wink but they were out so I ordered the fish Galician casserole style. I ordered the seafood soup for my first course and half of the clams had not opened so I discarded them. The fish was good but nothing extra special.

It was a Friday night, service was good and the crowd was a mix of younger people (students) and the regular locals.

CaliBasco-you'll have to let us know what you think once you've had a chance to visit again this year. I hate to be a downer and maybe you'll have a different experience at the "new" restaurant.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2077 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments