Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26880 - 02/07/01 03:44 PM Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Headed to Spain at the end of March / beginning of April! Our plan is to spend the first 3 days in Aranda del Duero (outside of Burgos), enjoying the local specialties of cordero asado (roasted lamb) and, of course, the wines of Ribera del Duero and Rueda. Then, it's off to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (located in the Rioja region), where we will be staying in one of the paradores. And, yes, we'll be sipping plenty of vino whle we're there as well!! Finally, we will be spending one night in Madrid before we head back to the states.

Does anyone have recommendations for restaurants, bars, bodegas, or other places of interest in any of the above areas?

Also, if anyone else has an interest in starting a separate thread about Spanish wines, let me know...

Rob

#26881 - 02/08/01 01:34 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi rkennedy17! Sounds like you have a TERRIFIC trip planned! You'll find a few wine-related discussions in this forum at the following threads:

....to name a few. Feel free to continue with one of these threads. The Ribera del Duero thread is quite complete!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26882 - 05/26/01 06:03 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
rkennedy17

Where did you stay in Aranda de Duero on your trip? I'm looking for somewhere for one night in mid-summer. Did you stay somewhere with air-conditioning? I really need somewhere with on-line booking if possible.

Any other info would be interesting. This will be the next to last night of our family holiday before returning to Madrid for one night before flying home to UK frown .

Thanks.

Jo

#26883 - 05/27/01 08:09 AM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I am booked at Tres Condes in Aranda del Duero Tel:34947502400 Fax:34947502404 for end of June. Not sure about AC. I booked thru Bancotel so it was only about E$42.It was rated *** and has a garage.I'll let you know how it was when I return July 8. Hope this helps.

#26884 - 05/27/01 08:56 AM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

That's great, thanks. Yes, I will wait with interest to hear how you got on. smile

Jo

#26885 - 05/27/01 02:08 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Actually, I have just looked at the Bancotel site and this hotel is fully booked for the date we needed :((can you believe that it is clear for several days each side of this particular date), and is too expensive to book 'normally'. But thanks anyway, and of course we'd still love to hear of your travels.

Jo

#26886 - 05/27/01 02:18 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I stayed at the "Hotel Los Bronces" in Aranda de Duero. Our rate was 9500 pesetas (about $50 US) per night. We had a king size bed, TV with remote, private bath & shower, etc. -- however, I don't remember if it had Air Conditioning or not (we went in early April & didn't need it)... In any case, it was very nice and had a lively bar and good restaurant. There was ample parking at the hotel also. You can check rates / book online at:
http://www.jpmoser.com/s-s-cyl.html

If you are looking for a good restaurant in Aranda, check out "Roble." Excellent regional fare!

Have a great trip -- I hope that helps!

#26887 - 05/27/01 03:04 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for that, it looks ideal. smile

It doesn't have air-conditioning, but if other people can cope, then I don't see why we can't! rolleyes

I loved the site - I've just spent quite a long time looking at lots of places I'm not even going anywhere near, I really like the descriptions and info.

Jo

A little later - have just sent booking request to them. keep your fingers crossed.

[ 05-27-2001: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

#26888 - 05/27/01 09:23 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
rkennedy: When you get back PLEASE post your experience with the Sto. Domingo parador.

I'm riding the camino to Santiago next year, and my current drafted itinerary has me staying there as a "break" night from the normal nights at pilgrim refugios and albergues. We'll use these as "shower/shave and laundry" nights. The parador looks incredible on the website, but I'd love to solicit a contemporary opinion.

Thanks in advance! Don't forget to stop at the Reales Descalzas convent (Burgos), and Sto. Domingo de Silos...and not just because of the music CD craze...it really is worth a stop.

#26889 - 05/28/01 04:00 PM Re: Burgos, Rioja, and Madrid in April
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

rkennedy:

How quickly did you get confirmation of booking from JPMoser? They got back to me quickly with my initial request, but since I've sent them CC details, all has gone quiet. I know, I'm impatient aren't I? After all, it was Sunday when I sent it and it's only Monday now! rolleyes

But I'd still be interested to hear how quickly you heard from them, and what you actually got as confirmation.

Thanks.

Jo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2865 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments