Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27117 - 03/11/01 11:49 PM Dancing places - not Disco!
lis Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hi my partner & I dance ballroom, latin american, argentine tango, rock & roll (jive ceroc, leroc etc). Anyone got ideas on places to go ? We are both over 30 ! Happy to pay a cover charge - speak enough Spanish. Going to be visiting Madrid, Salamanca, Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba (but if somewhere has really good dancing and its not on our current itinerary we will change the itinerary !! )

#27118 - 03/15/01 01:53 PM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
Moni215 Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
El son is a great Latin spot for salsa and merenge (sp) dancing it is located close to Sol. I went there in July and it was lots of fun. Try it out.

#27119 - 03/15/01 02:29 PM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
lis Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Thanks a lot !

#27120 - 03/15/01 11:36 PM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Moni215 has a good suggestion!! And, for the record, for those not familiar with Spain, I think the "SOL" to which Moni215 refers is in Madrid.

And while I don't know from experience, I would guess that Merengue/Salsa clubs would have a more mature clientele and they are popular in Spain! (the clubs, not necessarily the "mature clientele" ). If you read some Spanish, visit the Guía del Ocio website for most of Spain's cities. I'm SURE they list several of these in each city you'll be visiting. Have fun!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27121 - 03/16/01 04:51 AM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I've just check in Guia del Ocio.
and the place is EL Son and it is located in 6 Victoria St, near Puerta del Sol.
it could be confused Sol with Son.
Sol is the Sun
and SON is a cuban rhythm, a music that was very popular in the 40ties and 50ties, and with the change to comunist in Cuba, the singers and musicians left the island and spread out in the caribean and influence the music in the region, Salsa that become popular in the 70ties has cuban roots.
Son is danced slower than Salsa and is very sensual.

Rafael

#27122 - 03/18/01 12:52 AM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
El Son is indeed a Cuban dance club, located just up c/Victoria from Puerta del Sol. Take a right at El Museo del Jamon and it's a half block up the hill, tell them Edgar sent you. There are lots of great bars and restaurants on the block. Try 'Zorzomora', just up the street. They play great eclectic dance music.

#27123 - 03/18/01 01:21 PM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Is Zorzamora a good place for both young and middle aged? I'm loooking for places to go w/2 teen girls (I'm the Mom)where we can all have fun. I can get into most music if it's not totally frenetic!!

#27124 - 03/18/01 01:26 PM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
oops..didn't mean that last mad face.I'm really a happy Mom!

#27125 - 03/19/01 12:30 AM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I think Zorzomora would be great for mixed ages. The last time I was there in Feb 01, they had some great 60's and 70's music. I specifically remember some Tom Jones!

#27126 - 03/19/01 01:04 AM Re: Dancing places - not Disco!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
there is a great place to go salsa dancing in Salamanca. I have to see if I can find the name for you. Last I heard (from my then Dutch/surnamese roomate who went back last year) the same Colombian guy who was there in 94 is still there giving free lessons before the place really gets going.

I'll check it out and give you the links!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1567 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments