Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27109 - 03/09/01 02:06 PM In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Dear everyone,

At the risk of boring everyone stupid, I have some questions given to me by my Mother in law this evening, that I am going to ask you all.

She and my father in law, and two friends are partaking of an organised Andalucian tour in about two weeks time.

During this tour, they are sometimes allowed out on their own and they would like to know how best to make use of this time. Bear in mind they are 70ish, but fit and well.

Here goes:

Monday 26 March - Seville - they need to find their own evening meal, any suggestions? I know, I need to find out the hotel they are staying at to get an idea of where they can walk to. Something with a bit of atmosphere and food(!), and maybe some music?

Tuesday 27 March - a free afternoon in Seville. Wow! What to do!

Tuesday 29 March - visit to Jerez and a bodega and then in the afternoon free time in Puerta de Santa Maria (Hotel Monasteria?)

Friday 30 March - need to find their own evening meal in Malaga. They are staying in the centre near to the cathedral.

I think the rest of the time is catered for!

During this spare time, they would like to sample some Spanish food, and hopefully some flamenco (with or without dancers). My father in law is a musician, so is interested in the real deal.

I feel a bit of a wally asking these questions, but I have been asked to, so being the good daughter in law that I am, I have done it!

I know I have asked some questions before on this topic and had some really helpful replies which I have passed on. However, now they know the exact dates, they think they will get some more specific info from you all.

Waiting in humble anticipation.

Jo-Anne

PS

EL BOQUERON - you suggested Restaurant Antonio Martin; can you give me directions from the Malaga Palacio hotel? Also El Jardin Cafe. Thanks a bunch!

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 03-09-2001).]

#27110 - 03/11/01 11:54 AM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Some restaurants in Sevilla may be closed on Mondays (kind of like Italian restaurants in some parts of the U.S.). If they're close to la Maestranza (bullring), they might try El Meson de la Infanta just across the street from la Iglesia de la Infanta and adjacent to the bullring. It has atmosphere! Or El Arenal (c/Rodo #7, barrio de Arenal) once (1980-something) rated by the NY Times as the best Flamenco in Sevilla - restaurant open every night and an early (21:30) flamenco show

Tuesday afternoon free in el Puerto de Santa Maria: Might be a good time to tour some of the Domecq properties - distilleries (where they make those fine brandys) or bodegas, I mean.
The Monasterio is a 5-star deluxe hotel. Surely the concierge should be able to set something up for them.
BTW
I tried to check into the Monasterio without reservations once in '98 - they were full!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 03-11-2001).]

#27111 - 03/11/01 11:55 AM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

<snip>

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 03-12-2001).]

#27112 - 03/11/01 12:59 PM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Eddie

That's brilliant info. I shall pass it on immediately.

Yes the Monesterio looks a bit special. I'm sure they could have a word with the staff there and get some local tips. I think their tour already gives them a 'bodega and traditional Andalucian cottage' tour in the morning!!

I will be interested to hear what the meals are like in the Monesterio.

The Monesterio has it's own website with an English version which is very amusing. Lots of intersting information, but I think they must have just applied a computer translator to their Spanish! It's worth a look.

Thanks again.

Jo-Anne

#27113 - 03/12/01 05:53 AM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Might be a good idea to call the Concierge at el Monasterio in advance to 'sign up' for whatever tour is available.

I have eaten the midday meal at el Meson de la Infanta: very good

There are all kinds of tours in Sevilla: one by boat on the Guadalquivir, horse drawn carriages, etc. There should be no problem filling an afternoon there.

#27114 - 03/12/01 09:12 PM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jo-Anne!!!!!! As you now have seen on my Madrid & Sevilla Video , we took a double-decker, open-top British-style tour bus through Sevilla listening to the taped narrator of the history of Sevilla. It was quite fun and very interesting too... EVEN the downpour was fun, huddling under our ONE umbrella. This and, it seemed, other tours started/finished at the Torre de Oro along the Guadalquivir River. Hope they have a GREAT time!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27115 - 03/13/01 05:19 PM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Boo hoo MM!!

I haven't yet had that magic moment free to watch the video I keep seeing it and waiting for that time to arrive.

Thanks again Eddie for your brilliant help.

Jo-Anne

#27116 - 03/14/01 07:46 AM Re: In-laws guided tour of Andalucia - inspiration needed!!!
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
In Malaga they might enjoy the Restaurante Antonio Martin. Some of the staff speak English, which is rare in Malaga. It's walkable, though a cab in at least one direction might be a good idea. Ask the hotel to book them a table by the window. One thing I might mention, if your parents are anything like mine they'll be used to having their evening meal at around 6pm. Obviously, this doesn't work in Spain. Malaga restaurants are empty before 9pm.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2584 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments