Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26848 - 02/04/01 10:57 AM Vegan In Madrid
Merrick Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
This site is very informative. I'll be in Madrid from April 20 - 24, staying at the highly recommended Hostal Lopez. I read all the posts about being a vegetarian in Spain, but didn't see much abour being vegan (no dairy or eggs). I've found a couple of veggie restaurants near the Hostal Lopez, but I was wondering if there are any traditoinal Spanish dishes (or easily altered dishes) that have no meat, no cheese, and no eggs that I could ask for in any restaurant? Also, I've read a lot about tapas: are there any vegan tapas? Thanks!

#26849 - 02/04/01 03:02 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
vinniemafalda Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
really difficult. i can't think of anything with no meat, no eggs or no meat or animals. hmmm, maybe a tomato, wine. Well, it will be difficult, and they don't do special things if you are vegan, spanish bar cooks don't like to alter their recipes. And there's no tofu or special milk or anything. I am from Spain and I have only seen those things in USA. You can be vegan when you come back!! :P

#26850 - 02/04/01 04:07 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
How about pisto manchego, which is sort of like the Spanish version of ratatouille, and there is always patatas bravas. Come on guys, I know we can think of more!!!

#26851 - 02/04/01 04:40 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
Merrick Offline

I can eat a little cheese and eggs, but I prefer not to since they usually upset my stomach. I found vegetarian bratwurst and tofu in Germany last year and we know those Germans love their meat almost more than any other Europeans! So there must be something in Madrid.

This may sound terrible, but are there Burger Kings in Madrid? I remember the German and British Burger Kings had a veggie burger...

#26852 - 02/04/01 04:57 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
If you use the SEARCH link above/right and type in VEGETARIAN you'll find MANY related links which you'll find useful. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26853 - 02/04/01 05:17 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
If you were going to Sevilla, I'd say, order those fabulous spinach/chickpea dishes (espinacas con garbanzos). Maybe somewhere in madrid you will see it. Some other menu items: gazpacho (yummie tomato-like veggie cold soup), sopa de ajo (garlic soup): just make sure to always say, no puedo comer huevos (i can't eat eggs) bcs. some dishes have them in there. Asparagus is a popular thing to eat (sin mayonesa, without mayo). So are chapiniones al ajillo, mushrooms in olive oil and garlic. Many bars serve a 'sandwich vegetal" (again, ask w/out mayo). Enjoy all kinds of peppers (pimientos). Hope you are hungry!

#26854 - 02/05/01 09:12 AM Re: Vegan In Madrid
Miguelito Offline

Very typical tapa is "pimientos del padrón" (unos pican y otros non), it's a small green pepper fried, some of them are hot but they usually aren't, so it's funny to guess who has eaten the one hot.
Also there are lots of creams(ask if they have milk), mash and soups, usually first dishes are mainly vegetables with a little bit of bacon or meat, so it's not so difficult to take it off before cooking, although it will lose a lot of taste, it's possible to do it, but you better ask always, I don't think they will do it in a "menu del dia" because they have everything almost prepared, but in other restaurant if it's not very crowded, maybe they won't have problem.
rgf has given you a good list of dishes, there are many more but I guess you couldn't get a good diet only with traditional dishes, I think there are almost 10 vegetarian restaurants in Madrid.

#26855 - 02/05/01 06:13 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I got a list of 17 veg rest. in Madrid from www.happycow.net/europe/spain/madrid

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-05-2001).]

#26856 - 02/06/01 12:30 AM Re: Vegan In Madrid
Merrick Offline

Thanks for the tips. I did get a list of restaurants off of the Happy Cow site and I plan to patronize them every opportunity I get. I just wanted some options in case I wasn't close to one of them whilst out adventuring. Gracias!

#26857 - 02/07/01 02:45 PM Re: Vegan In Madrid
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
The vegetarian restaurants sometimes serve dishes with dairy foods, so you'll need to ask there too to be sure you get a completely vegan meal. Also, I'd be very surprised if a Spain Burger King has a veggie burger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1582 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments