Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33657 - 09/13/07 08:44 PM Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Has anyone in Madrid heard of this concert series? MadridMan, I know you are a big flamenco fan so perhaps you have read about it. It seems there are some pretty impressive artists performing September 17-21. (I'd love to see Antonio Carmona! cloud9 ) I don't quite understand where the concert takes place since it seems to be more of an advertisement for the Chamartin Metro station! Is there a stadium or theater nearby?

See the commercial here on You Tube.

#33658 - 09/14/07 03:51 AM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! I too would LOVE to see Antonio Carmona live!! thumbsup

http://www.cumbreflamenca.es/ is the official website (English version available) for the Cumbre Flamenca 2007 concert series in the Chamartin Metro Station at 10pm for the dates you've given. But as you say, nor does the website tell WHERE the concerts take place except for IN the Chamartin Metro Station - but nothing more. As you'll read below, 15,000 and 20,000 persons were attending the last couple years so they'd need a large space!

I just read the Antonio Carmona description (in English) and saw a serious TYPO:

Quote:
Alter twenty years as part of Retama, the most successful flamenco fusion group,...
RETAMA?? hehehe..

Also:

Quote:
Cumbre Flamenca (Flamenco Summit)

It is true that the palate of Spanish culture is not solely made up of flamenco. Without this art form, however, it would be difficult to understand the richness of our artistic expression. It is a genre in which tradition and modernity naturally flow as one, brought together with the purpose of expressing a culture that makes diversity and restlessness its most authentic distinguishing characteristics.

Within this context, the Cumbre Flamenca is celebrating its third edition, making of it the festival of distinction for both critics and spectators of this genre. The versatility of this season’s repertoire has allowed it to be viewed free of charge in Madrid’s Metro (Madrid’s underground) stations, thanks to the patronage and absolute support of the Comunidad de Madrid (Madrid’s regional government), the Consejería de Transportes e Infraestructuras (Council for Transport and Infrastructures), and, of course the Metro de Madrid.

Public response (audiences of 15.000 in 2005 and 20.000 in 2006) has been pivotal in the decision to come back with this third edition of the Cumbre Flamenca, now with more encouragement than ever. It offers a season that is sustained by a versatile and open repertoire, bringing it closer to a larger number of people and permitting its adaptation to other innovative spaces.

Onstage, flamenco is touched, it is sung, it is danced. These experiences are brought to us thanks to artists such as El Lebrijano, Niña Pastori, Enrique de Melchor, Falete, Tomatito, Aurora Vargas, Antonio Carmona and José Mercé, and other great names that have passed and will pass through the various editions of the Cumbre Flamenca.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33659 - 09/14/07 09:57 PM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Retama? Por favor! Well, if you make it to any of the performances, be sure to give us a review afterwards, just as you did for the Suma Flamenca shows back in May. thumbsup

#33660 - 10/04/07 03:04 AM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

la historiada, as it turned out, either they changed the schedule on me or I was just wrong because I missed the Antonio Carmona concert date, thinking it was the previous night. And I don't think there was much in the press about it either - at least I didn't notice anything special on the news but since I missed the concert I probably missed the news about said concert as well. Sorry!

Anyone make it to any of these concerts in the Chamartín metro station?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33661 - 10/04/07 09:39 PM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Que triste! frown Well, hopefully you'll get to see him another time in concert. How strange that there wasn't that much about the shows in the news. You would think a flamenco concert series in Chamartin would have been more newsworthy!

#33662 - 10/05/07 03:47 AM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

It was in the news more when it started and in the middle but little or no news about the actual concerts after the fact, how they went, video coverage, ectera. Too bad. Guess I'll have to wait 'til next year!

Saludos, MadridMan

#33663 - 10/07/07 09:09 PM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
jimandroz Offline

Loc: carlsbad,california
We will be in Madrid on Oct. 22nd and 23rd (Monday and Tues),
are there any great flamenco artists scheduled these evenings?

Any club that you recommend for the authentic and best, with
dance.

Let me know.
Gracias!

#33664 - 10/08/07 03:34 AM Re: Madrid: Cumbre Flamenca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi jimandroz! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

While the Cumbre Flamenca festival ended on the 21st of September lots of good flamenco dance shows can be found every night of the week in Madrid.

I just checked your dates in http://madrid.lanetro.com/ and it didn't show any particular headlines for flamenco shows on your dates but you'll find flamenco shows throughout the city while you're here.

Flamenco Tablaos which have websites include, among many: http://www.casapatas.com/ , http://www.chinitas.com/ , http://www.tablaolascarboneras.com/ , http://www.corraldelamoreria.com/ , http://www.corraldelapacheca.com/ , http://www.lastablasmadrid.com .

All offer flamenco dance shows of varying degrees of quality. Since they have different dancers from week to week (only a few with regulars) it's difficult to say which is best. It's really hit-or-miss. Most often you'll go to one show and and a few dancers seem to "need practice" but the rest seem really expert.

As for being "authentic", they're all considered authentic now as most all are the same - or at least very very similar. They all cater to tourists only. There are no gypsies-only flamenco shows. If these existed you wouldn't be allowed to enter unless you're gypsy.

What I can nearly assure is whichever place you choose you'll most likely enjoy yourself. I've never been disappointed. But the more I watch the more I can discern the quality or the precision or the heart put into their dances. Thing is, we won't know what we'll get until we pay and sit down to watch.

Read my blog entries " Flamenco in Madrid " and " More Madrid Flamenco " for more information and some photos of my experiences at different Madrid flamenco tablaos.

Enjoy your time in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2861 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments