Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33581 - 06/04/07 12:54 PM Manchego and honey?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Question for people with food knowledge...

There is a restaurant here in Philadelphia called " Amada " and it serves manchego cheese with honey (sorry, forgot what kind) and very thinly sliced apples. I don't remember seeing this in Spain and was wondering if anyone has.

Gracias.

El Almirante

#33582 - 06/04/07 01:50 PM Re: Manchego and honey?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I have encountered fresh sheep's milk cheese drizzled with honey in the south of France....The combo is to die for! Though I have never seen it in Madrid, maybe it exists in the north.

The Chef at this Philidelphia restaurant you mentioned, states in the website that he is bringing his own modern variations to the traditional tapas from Spain....It also appears from the menu on the website that he is of the new school of Spanish cuisine....So I'm thinking that though you may not find honey with Manchego typical, the chef took artistic license and went with it!

Anyone?

#33583 - 06/04/07 05:17 PM Re: Manchego and honey?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Yes, manchego, queso de burgos, mató and many other cheeses are often served with honey.

#33584 - 06/04/07 05:24 PM Re: Manchego and honey?
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Honey and cheese is a very tipical dessert in all Spanish regions. Every place uses its local cheese and it is usualy fresh cheese made from cow or sheep milk. You can even make sandwiches with them.

In Galicia they like tetilla cheese with honey. I love very much Arzúa Ulloa cheese.

In my land, Valencia, we have tronchón cheese or requesón (curd cheese), in Mallorca Island the also like requesón (brossat in Majorcan language). It's wonderful.

My father is from La Mancha, there is very tipical to eat fresh manchego cheese (100% sheep milk)with honey. Another tipical combination is fresh black grapes and cheese. As the proverb says:
"Uva con queso sabe a beso". (grapes with cheese taste like kiss)

You can try also cheese, nuts and honey on them. To acompany this dish Malaga sweet wine, Jerez sweet wine or Valencian Mistela.

#33585 - 06/04/07 07:23 PM Re: Manchego and honey?
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...Valenciano...thank you.... i found your posting most interesting and educational!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2065 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments