MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33261 - 12/03/06 03:58 PM Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Jeeze I'm sure exactly where to post this thread, but this is probably as good a place as any. It might be fun for people to start posting different things to do during the holidays.

I'll start with a novelty this year. If you're in the mood for a nice evening Christmas walk, in addition to the typical spots in the center of town, I'd recommend going over to the Retiro Park where they have erected a huge iron Christmas Tree covered with lights. It almost looks like a teepee because it's basically a cone with swirling lighted shapes on the outside. Once there, go inside and look up. Impressive, as if you were in a church with a lighted dome.

It's in the Paseo de Coches, enter from Calle O'Donnell, or through any of the entrances along Menéndez Pelayo (Doctor Castelo, Ibiza, Sainz de Baranda, etc.). The trees along the Paseo de Coches have lights in them too, so it's a nice walk.

I've even heard they were going to set up a temporary iceskating rink there too, but I'll have to confirm.

For something different, give it a try.

tree

#33262 - 12/04/06 04:40 AM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just last night I was downtown doing some shopping (¡Cortylandia!, ¡Cortylandia!) and was impressed, once again, with the lights displayed throughout downtown and particularly those around the streets north/above La Puerta del Sol. VERY nice. And those along the Paseo del Prado are quite nice too.

Murdy, haven't seen the Retiro Park lights yet but they sound quite nice. I hope to see them before the end of the holiday. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33263 - 12/04/06 07:41 AM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Can anyone post some photos of the Christmas lights around the city? It would be really nice to see! smile

#33264 - 12/04/06 06:45 PM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
I usually go to Spain right after Christmas for New Years and Three Kings Day. The lights all over Spain are very bright. I won't be going back until February this time. I will be there for Carnaval in Cadiz and I hope to take lots of photos.

Here are some Christmas photos from previous years.

Fuengirola (2)

Mijas (2)

Benalmadena (2)

Malaga

Jaen

#33265 - 12/04/06 07:07 PM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
I just found one more from Madrid. The crowds in Madrid at the end of the year are huge. I have lived all of my life in New York City so I have seen big crowds before. I love the way people of all ages are out and about late at night. I always have been lucky to have good weather in Spain at the end of the year.

#33266 - 12/04/06 07:10 PM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
Can anyone post some photos of the Christmas lights around the city? It would be really nice to see!
Good idea. I'd love to, but I'll be away on the puente starting tomorrow, so I'll try to get some posted next week.

#33267 - 12/05/06 12:18 AM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

¡Mil gracias por las fotos! I was in Madrid once in between Christmas and New Year's and it was fantastic to see all the lights and all the people. I couldn't believe the crowds, and everyone really seemed so joyous. So, again, thanks for sharing. They bring back fond memories. cloud9

#33268 - 12/05/06 05:49 AM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Torrales Offline

I am borrowing some pics of this years' Madrid Christmas lightning from other forum. I hope nobody is offended...

#33269 - 12/05/06 05:50 AM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
Torrales Offline

Some more...

#33270 - 12/05/06 02:59 PM Re: Madrid: Things to do this Christmas
JAcosta Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Calif.
nice pics thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2755 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments