Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32886 - 02/03/06 03:06 PM best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
tinman Offline

Loc: escocia
cannot recommend highly enough El Nogal de San franciso, just off plaza de España near the library...large protions of great food at great prices and service is superb. 7 euros for el menu del dia during the week...bit more expensive at weekends and evenings but food is just as good.

Easyjet have just started flying here last year from Stansted, which was a bonus as I used to have a three hour drive from Bilbao. Now all I need is a direct flight from Glasgow and I´d be able to pop over a weekend...perfecto!!!!

Anyone else eaten here?

http://www.sites.ecosse.net/traveltheplanet/

#32887 - 02/04/06 06:15 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Some say: "Asturias is noted for its cuisine!" Others may say: "Los Asturianos son muy brutos comiendo." I guess you can say that about 'mountain people' everywhere.

Next time you must try the Fabada Asturiana. It will make you feel like you're back home in Scotland (eating the Haggis). When you finish, you feel like you have eaten a brick! rolleyes

In the movie: 'Silence of the Lambs,' Hanibal Lechter describes a cannibalistic Favada. eek

BTW
I haven't had the pleasure of dining at el Nogal de San Francisco, yet ...

#32888 - 02/04/06 09:35 PM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
What are you saying, Eddie!!!! Those are fighting words, man, must have been a fancy pats Valencian!

Fabada Asturiana is a fabulous dish, I should know I am half Asturian, my mother only cooked Asturian dishes and I grew up to be a hearty healthy girl on Fabadas!

There is no comparison with Haggis, Man! You must have gone to a bad restaurant! You need to try my Fabada, Eddie, it will change your mind!
It's good old country cooking!

#32889 - 02/05/06 06:25 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Doña Carmen (aka Booklady) writes:
Quote:
... What are you saying, Eddie? Those are fighting words, man, ...
I assume what you refer to is my comment concerning Asturianos. Please note my qualification (i.e., Mountain people everywhere are 'big eaters').
Quote:
Fabada Asturiana is a fabulous dish, I should know I am half Asturian, my mother only cooked Asturian dishes and I grew up to be a hearty healthy girl on Fabadas!
I agree! I love Fabada! But it doesn't do any good for my Cholesterol level
Quote:
There is no comparison with Haggis, Man! You must have gone to a bad restaurant!
The only comparison I intended was the feeling one gets of having eaten a brick after a meal of either of those dishes
Quote:
You need to try my Fabada, Eddie, it will change your mind!
It's good old country cooking!
Is that an invitation? rolleyes

#32890 - 02/05/06 05:04 PM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Eddie, what you need to do is order a good Spanish red wine with that fabada to combat all the cholesterol...scientifically proven...or so they say. :hdspin:

God Bless Asturias and its food!

#32891 - 02/06/06 11:59 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Ok!
Yes, Eddie, it was an invitation. We'll have to work on the logistics! I can stop in Philly when I next leave for Spain, and make you a pot of the best Fabadas this side of the Atlantic! I have relatives in Aviles who send me fabas every Christmas and on my birthday in July! I buy the Spanish Chorizos and morcillas from la Tienda.

Yummm! I think I'll make a pot tonight!
Doña C!

#32892 - 02/06/06 04:08 PM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
hey, if Carmen is making Fabada...my family and I will come down from NY to join you! I hope you will invite us!

#32893 - 02/07/06 06:38 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Doña Carmen (aka Booklady) writes:
Quote:
... We'll have to work on the logistics! I can stop in Philly when I next leave for Spain, and make you a pot of the best Fabadas this side of the Atlantic! I have relatives in Aviles who send me fabas every Christmas and on my birthday in July! I buy the Spanish Chorizos and morcillas from la Tienda.

Yummm! I think I'll make a pot tonight!
This is certainly the right season for it, especialy up here in 'cold country!'

But now you're really in trouble! Esperanza wants to join us along with Tom and the girls so that they can be healthy and hearty like you say Fabada made you. wink

I'll provide the Lacon. My (wife's) cousin usually throws in a Brisket (of beef). I'm not sure if that's done in the real Fabada Asturiana. We get Portuguese Chorizo & Morcilla from a Portuguese meat market here in Phila.

But those Fabas (beans) are so expensive and I don't think Goya (out of Secaucas NJ) packages or cans them. We might have to go with a Cocido de Liebana (i.e., using Garbanzos instead of Fabas).

I hope this topic has been a learnng experience for many 'lurkers' and people who were unaware that the Spanish Cuisine varies from one Region to another.

BTW
In Madrid I usually dine at least once at a Taberna on c/Mayór directly across from the Ayuntamiento. The Cocinera is Asturiana and specializes on Asturian dishes (including Fabada - about once a week other than in the summertime).

#32894 - 02/26/06 07:44 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
tinman Offline

have to disagree with you about the haggis comparison...fabada is spicier and usually contains paprika, if im not mistaken, which haggis doesn't...

I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't like fabada (much to my Asturian girlfriends surprise - but then again she doesn't like haggis or porridge...:-))...

there are so many other asturian dishes which are 'muy rico' though...

#32895 - 02/26/06 07:55 AM Re: best restaurante en España - Aviles, Asturias
tinman Offline

booklady.....which area of aviles do your relatives stay? did you know there is a web cam of view of plaza de España?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1620 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments