This could actually go under a couple of different categories, but food is probably just as good as any. With all the talk of Halloween in Spain, we mustn't forget the true Spanish traditions of All Saints' Day...especially the sweet ones.

I recommend you try the Buñuelos, which are balls of fried dough filled with different fillings like cream, whipped cream, chocolate, truffle, cabello de ángel (a kind of pumpkin marmalade), etc. You can find them at any pastry shop these days. They aren't cheap, about 20-25 euros a kilo, but worth the splurge. And if you believe the tradition that for every buñuelo you eat you'll be freeing a soul from purgatory, all the better. Nothing like indulging for a good cause!

The other famous treat is the hueso de santo. To be honest, I can't tell you exactly what it is made of. It's like small elongated white cake that's supposed to represent a saint's bone. I think they are made of marzipan and have different fillings like yema (sugar egg yolk), etc. These are denser and very sugary. Also more expensive...some 30 euros/kilo.

I like both but prefer the buñuelos. Happy Halloween and Happy Saints' Day!