Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32430 - 06/27/05 12:31 AM Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Due to an extended heatwave in Minneapolis (how can anyplace that gets SOOO cold in the winter get SOOO hot in the summer?), I have whipped up a batches of patatas con ali-oli and Gazpacho to be supplemented with meat cooked outdoors on the grill for this week. The gazpacho was a little flat. I am sure it is due to the cardboard tomatoes available in the early summer here.

My question is this: Would it be permissible to use canned tomatoes and still be authentic? I think it would pep it up a bit.

I would hate to get into the same trouble as when I made Sangria with Beaujolais! (Although I have never made "tinto de verano" with diet Sprite!)

Matt

#32431 - 06/27/05 07:39 AM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi Mongo, the heat wave is killing everyone!!! Even here in Madrid!!!

Regarding your question, there should be any problem for using caned tomatoes. It may taste a bit different than using tomatoes bought at a grocery's.

The main difference is that the tomatoes purchased in a can are usually cooked enough so that they can remove the peel without much effort.

And as you probably already know, when you make gazpacho you usually use raw or uncooked tomatoes.

Mainly avoid using the extra liquid that comes in the can, and remove the little seeds too.

The important thing is that it taste good, so give it a shot,

#32432 - 06/27/05 10:46 AM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
It's probably not very orthodox, but I've used canned tomatoes before with quite a bit of success. In fact, unless the tomatoes are super fresh, I think it works better with canned. I will say, though, that I use a pretty high quality canned tomato, like Cento.

#32433 - 06/27/05 01:30 PM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
JoseR Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Wow, some people areally desperate. using sprite? c'mon.

#32434 - 06/27/05 04:06 PM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
orthodox smorthodox! The other day I got into a discussion with my suegra and she told me that she prefers using the "tomates en bote/lata" because it makes making gazpacho that much easier.

My suegra is a great cook, so.. while I might not take what she says as law, she does know what she is talking about! wink

#32435 - 06/29/05 07:32 PM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Inspired by this thread, I satisfied a sudden craving for gazpacho this evening by quickly whipping up a container full of gazpacho using canned tomatoes, since I had no fresh ones in the house. It was excellent. I just didn't add salt, like I usually do, because there was salt in the canned tomatoes. Since I'm very picky about fresh tomatoes, and often am very unimpressed by what's in the grocery store, I'll definitely do this again. And it took less than 5 minutes to make!

#32436 - 06/29/05 11:46 PM Re: Gazpacho:Are canned tomatoes permitted?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I am convinced that they are breeding tomatoes more to facilitate shipping and storing rather than for flavor. I once read about someone breeding a square tomato to save boxes!

My gazpacho was much improved with the addition of a few canned tomatoes. From now on I will use canned.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2019 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments