Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32161 - 03/14/05 09:32 PM My Funny Madrid Story
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I like to share my funny story, when I visiting Madrid for the first time two weeks ago of this year.

I always buy a souvenir for my mother from the places I travel to. But since my mother had visited Madrid five years ago she has her own souvenirs. So I was stump what to buy her and it was only a few days before I was going to fly home.

So I asked for help from my two new friends in Madrid, Stephen Drake-Jones, Chairman The Wellington Society and his delightful wife Connie. His Madrid tours are very entertaining and the information can be found on his website, www.wellsoc.org. Over drinks I asked them what they think I should get for my mother. Connie said a shawl and to buy it at the same store she bought her wedding shawl. Mr. Chairman did his part by drawing me a map with directions from Puerta del Sol to the store. So the next day off I went, using my hand drawn map found the store and walked in. The first thing I notice the store’s dazzling fabrics hanging off the walls and said to myself wow.

Did I mention my Spanish is not so great; you only need both hands to count the words I can say or understand in Spanish. Do I mention I am a male and being in a female clothing store is very alien place for me, unless its Victoria Secret.

Anyway, I explained to the female salesperson that greeted me as I enter the store, I was looking to buy a shawl for my mother and the price I was willing to spend. After a few more exchanges, I realized she did not speak English or understand what I said. So I said the magic word "English" hoping the she could find someone to help me. She said “Un momento por favor” and called someone else. Soon another female clerk greeted me, spoke to me in English and she can help me. I smile since moments before I was in doubt I was going walk out with a shawl.
My English speaking salesperson goes behind the counter and she pulls out this beautiful, white embroiler cloth. I look at it, amazed of the quality and knew my mother would be happy to get this. Hell, I would think any women would be happy to get this, ready to buy it and happy that my problem was now solved!

Connie when she recommended the store said I should ask the clerk if she could put it on to see how it looks. So I very politely asked the clerk to show me how it looks on her, since she was about my mother's height. She spreads it open completely open on the counter and its larger than I expect it to be. I am thinking this is it too large for my mother to wear. Now I confused, being a male asking for women clothing and maybe I missing something because I do not wear shawls. So I asked again if she could put it on because I do not know how a woman could wear this.

Then she looks at me confused and tells me politely that what I am looking at is a tablecloth. Now I am embarrassed. Really embarrassed, and start explaining again I want to buy a shawl, wrap, scarf saying any word that comes to my head to explain what I want. I was so embarrassed if I thought women could wear an umbrella around their shoulders I would have said umbrella to. She smiles at me, explains to her embarrassed customer that she now understands what I want and to please follow her.

As we walk downstairs to where the shawls are, a scary thought enters my head. If I did not asked her to tried it on, I would have walked out of the store with a table cloth for my mother to wear.

Well I think it funny!

The store is: Borcasa on Margues Vbo. de Pontejos Tel 91 532 61 53
They also gift-wrapped my gift; no extra charge and the shawls are downstairs. Tablecloths are upstairs and naturally I enter upstairs.

Bill

#32162 - 03/14/05 11:09 PM Re: My Funny Madrid Story
isleroyal Offline

Loc: Michigan
Well you just solved 2 of my dilemas with your great story! wink I need to buy a shawl for my Mother and a tablecloth for my mother in law and will be in Madrid in 7 days! laugh Please let us know a range of price you paid, unless your mother frequents these boards and that would be embarassing to tell the price. Thank you in advance.
By the way did she mention the price of the tablecloth?

#32163 - 03/15/05 08:11 AM Re: My Funny Madrid Story
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I bought two shawls for 55 euros a piece. As Connie explain to me, tell them how much you are willing to spend and they will find something in that price range. I said around 60 euros and the English speaking salesperson found something in that price range.

The tablecloth I do not know how much it went for.

I can recommend the store and think you find something what you are looking for.

Bill

#32164 - 03/15/05 11:00 AM Re: My Funny Madrid Story
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Oh that is funny! Thanks for the early morning chuckle!

Actually, I'm hoping to get my mother a tablecloth when I'm in Spain, so perhaps I should check this store out. Maybe I'll also get a shawl for me in the bargain!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1440 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments