Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31772 - 11/06/04 08:18 PM New Year's In Madrid
TaraENYC Offline

Loc: New York City
My friend and I will be spending December 29/30 and 31 in Madrid and are looking to make New Years plans. Can anyone provide either some URLs for things to do on New Years or ideas based on things you've done in the past. We want it to be memorable but dont have anything specific in mind.
Thanks. Tara

#31773 - 11/07/04 09:49 AM Re: New Year's In Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Buy yourselves a bunch of Grapes (prices will be outrageous) and station yourselves in the Puerta del Sol. Then, each time the clock chimes, eat a grape. There's a bit of a lead-in to the twelve BIG bells. Don't get carried away and start eating your grapes early!

The Puerta del Sol is kinda like Times Square. Everything in the area will be crowded and overpriced; but that's New Year's for you.

#31774 - 11/07/04 01:11 PM Re: New Year's In Madrid
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Eddie is right Puerta Dels Sol is the place to be on New Years eve. You will think that half of Spain is crammed into that small area. Be careful for you personal security as the pick pockets will be out in droves.

#31775 - 11/07/04 02:28 PM Re: New Year's In Madrid
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Def. Puerta Del Sol and remember its a big family holiday so the pubs and clubs don't get rocking till past one in the morning.

#31776 - 11/07/04 05:22 PM Re: New Year's In Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Be prepared to be surrounded by thousands of people at the Puerta Del Sol on Nochevieja, or New year's eve. We were there a few years ago several hours well before midnight and it was almost impossible to move then; the crowd was impressive; the traffic jam was stellar!

But it was a lot of fun, as Eddie mention people brought their 12 grapes, cups and bottles of Sidra, Asturian Cider. We left and opted for a more subdued but equally fun dinner party held at the HUSA Princesa! Many of the 3-5 star hotels offer parties, which are also very nice.

Advice. Don't bring purses to the Puerta del Sol; if you must put your valuables on your person.
Also, don't even bother to look for a taxi, you may not find one! If your flight leaves on New Year's Day, make reservations with a company to pick you up!

There are several Irish Bars that have parties, Irish Rover comes to mind, they usually have a band. If you do a New Year's Search you may find more information.

Hope you have a great trip to Madrid.
Carmen

#31777 - 11/09/04 04:08 AM Re: New Year's In Madrid
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Quote:
Buy yourselves a bunch of Grapes (prices will be outrageous) and station yourselves in the Puerta del Sol. Then, each time the clock chimes, eat a grape. There's a bit of a lead-in to the twelve BIG bells. Don't get carried away and start eating your grapes early!
After nearly choking on a particularly large grape a few years ago, I cheat a bit now and buy a small tin for a few centimos which contains twelve small seedless specimens. It slips easily into your pocket and prevents that mushy squashed grape feeling in there when someone has bumped into you!!

Mind you, I don't know about being lucky..... I still fill in that Loteria Primitiva ticket every week to no avail rolleyes

#31778 - 11/09/04 08:13 AM Re: New Year's In Madrid
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
And most definately do not plan on sleeping that night - absolutely no-one but no-one sleeps on New Years Eve in Madrid!

#31779 - 11/09/04 10:44 AM Re: New Year's In Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'll be there again! But unfortunately I can't convince my ladyfriend there to go with me to the Puerta del Sol as I was able to do last year. Believe it or not she had lived all her life (I can't tell you her age - but she's older than me) in Madrid and had NEVER gone to Puerta del Sol for new Years Eve!! eek She said it was only for tourists/foreigners - which we found to be mainly true - and most madrileños spend the evening with family for a late dinner at home or with friends at private parties.

SO, that's probably what we'll do this year although she DID say I could go with some friends if I wanted but, well, YOU know what that's like. THEY SAY "Oh, it's okay. Go have fun with your friends," but what they're really thinking is "If you go out with your friends I'll be mad." hehehehe...

Regardless, I'm sure we'll all have a good time. Take WARM clothing if you're outside on New Years Eve! Temperatures will surely be down around freezing or below!! eek

By the way, don't expect to hear any 12-bells at midnight. The people-noise is so great that unless you have a radio/headphones you'll never hear the bells and suddenly the "Feliz 2005" sign will become illuminated and people will be jumping around, spraying champagne or throwing beer from their cups, and wishing each other Happy New Year and you'll be standing there with 12 sticky grapes in your hand and midnight has already passed. THAT'S what happened to us last year. It was a little anti-climactic rolleyes but still fun to be in the middle of it all.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31780 - 11/09/04 01:13 PM Re: New Year's In Madrid
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hey MM, Are you going to be around the following weekend? I´m in Madrid for the R.E.M. concert at Palacio Vistalegre on Saturday 8th January, but arrive early evening on Friday.

T'would be good to have a Mahou or two together if so?

#31781 - 11/09/04 02:33 PM Re: New Year's In Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Anchovy Front wrote:
Quote:
Hey MM, Are you going to be around the following weekend?
Unfortunately no, A.F.. Not really, anyway. My flight leaves Barajas on Sunday, January 9 and I'll be doing last minute "family things" and maximizing the quality time. It's possible to get together but not possible to make plans. You know how it is. Maybe someday if I'm living in Madrid we'll meet up. I thought R.E.M. broke up!?!? confused I saw them here in Columbus a few years ago - good show, of course.

What other things do madrileños do for New Years Eve other than late, family meals and/or private parties. I know some families stay up until dawn playing games/cards.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1850 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments