Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31453 - 07/31/04 08:16 AM SPANISH
pauly Offline

Loc: Malaga
For the best way to learn Spanish see www.freewebs.com/MADRIDMANEDIT EASY WAY TO LEARN SPANISH

#31454 - 07/31/04 10:04 AM Re: SPANISH
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Pauly, I've sent you NUMEROUS Private Messages about doing this and have removed MANY under this name and your other, "Charitiecase" username. Please don't do it any more.

REMINDER:
We allow NO advertising or self-promotions of products, services, or websites!! mad

VERY sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31455 - 07/31/04 03:03 PM Re: SPANISH
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Charity:

You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to sneakily catch a free ride on MM's website to promote your own competing website. Your time and effort would be better spent improving and enhancing your own site. The members of this site are FIERCELY loyal to it, and resent such underhanded, dishonest behavior. If I were MadridMan, I would flat out ban you from the board.

#31456 - 07/31/04 04:10 PM Re: SPANISH
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
[REMINDER:
We allow NO advertising or self-promotions of products, services, or websites!!

VERY sincerely, MadridMan]

Martin...buddy...arn't you doing the same thing?
[Check us out at Glamourcon 34 in Chicago August 28 and 29th!
http://www.1stclasspinups.com]

I don't understand the difference. Don't get me wrong, Im not complaining...just want a little more clarification from MM regarding what links are appropriate. confused

#31457 - 07/31/04 05:35 PM Re: SPANISH
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I did, in essence. However, I wrote the first paragraph to MM stating that I understood that he might have a problem with the post, and I would understand if he took it down. I wrote the post not as self-promotion, but as a resource listing in reply to many questions I have had on the subject from people on the MM boards, which prompted me to put up that particular board in the first place. I was spending too much time redoing research and answering questions, so this way it saves both people wanting the information and me time, as well as having all the information in one place. Also I do not charge for the information.

"Pauly" on the other hand had apparently been posting a commercial advertisement repeatedly even after being warned by MM, even going to the length of changing his/her logon name in an unsuccessful attempt to fly under MM's radar.

Currently MM and I are in discussions about how I might appropiately promote the resource, both on this site and others. Everything is above board, and always has been. laugh

AS for the Glamourcon information in my signiture, MM has never complained, and it is common to see this type of sig on the board. If MM ever had a problem with it, of course I would immediately change it. As for the informatin on the "Painting in Spain" board, MM himself suggested I put it there.

#31458 - 07/31/04 07:30 PM Re: SPANISH
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

As clarification, I was discussing this with Martín de Madrid and did remove his thread about the mention of his website's message board because, clearly, I can't allow special treatment for some people and not for others in order to be fair. While he was most likely posting the information as helpful it was still a form of promotion and had to be removed from this message board.

Believe me, in the 4 years this message board has been operating "I've seen it all" as have many of our longtime members. People often think that, like most message boards, there's little (or no) moderation by its owner. I can tell you that this is NOT the case here. I "check in" constantly, EVERYDAY, and am always on the lookout for people trying to freely promote their websites - either directly or indirectly - or products, often in the name of "HELPING" others. Ha! What a joke. "Transparent intent" is what I call it and there's a STRONG, smelly case of that not too far from this message board. rolleyes It occurs to me that to some this "transparent intent" is not so transparent and they get sucked in and take the bait because they think that person is honestly and selflessly trying to HELP them. Ha. Taking advantage of unsuspecting visitors is NOT my idea of fair play and you'll never have that here on this message board OR on the base part of MadridMan.com.

I ALWAYS respectfully ask those trying such things - or UNknowinly trying such things - that it is perfectly fine to put a short description and link to their website in their "my profile"'s signature file. This way, as they participate in TYPICAL, nonpromotional discussions, people can see their signature file AND THEN choose to click their link. Also, digging up old threads for the purpose of getting exposure for their signature file & website linke is a big-time-NO-NO. That's another case of "transparent intent" and it won't be tolerated here.

If, in some way, Martín de Madrid decides to someday become an advertiser on MadridMan.com, an appropriate place will be found and yes, monies will be exchanged. But you can be certain that just because he's a client (or ANY client for that matter) DOES NOT GIVE HIM PERMISSION to advertise on this message board by way of promotional postings for his products, services, or website(s). But again, no problem with a description and link in his signature file.

You know, while we're talking about it, moderators on other message boards (i.e. The Lonely Planet & EuroTrip) have actually warned ME for posting information AND LINKS to/about hostels in Madrid, those I've personally stayed at and found good. And those postings had a description and link to my website in their signature files. Apparently the moderator felt I was advertising. Well, everyone has their own policies, that's true. But then some other person on the same message board posts something like "Please visit my website @ www.blahblahblah.com" and that posting is overlooked by the moderator. I would like to attribute this to the possibility that moderators are, MOST OF THE TIME, not always present to what's going on on their message boards. But I think they're finally tightening their grip on advertising on message boards that has/had been getting out of hand fast.

This message board will NEVER be like that - not as long as I'm here and I'm reading every posting and cautious of such attempts to use MadridMan's ALL SPAIN Message Board as their promotional platform. Uh-uh. NOT goin' to happen here.

VERY sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31459 - 07/31/04 08:20 PM Re: SPANISH
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
MM...thanks for the clarification. I can see how posting links can get out of hand. I guess I've been at fault in doing so myself;unknowingly. For example in previous posts regarding Spanish music I've added links for information on "La Tuna" and "Zarzuela" believing that other members may benefit from further information on those subjects. I guess that's a no-no!

I'll run things by you if I have something I'd like to share on the board.

Gracias... wink

#31460 - 08/01/04 01:07 AM Re: SPANISH
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

OsoMajor wrote:
Quote:
For example in previous posts regarding Spanish music I've added links for information on "La Tuna" and "Zarzuela" believing that other members may benefit from further information on those subjects. I guess that's a no-no!
No-no no! Postings links to other sites which are not your own is fine and is not a form of advertisement or self-promotion as long as you have no affiliation with them or benefit from the link in any way. For example, if you post a link to www.RENFE.es to help a poster with a question about transportation, that's PERFECTLY fine. But, if you had a website ABOUT transportation or had a website with a page on transportation THAT would be a no-no.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments