Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31169 - 03/24/04 03:41 PM Huelva: Beaches
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
I've heard the beaches in the Huelva province are underrated and I'd like to check them out.

I'm going to be in Sevilla and since the coast is an hour away, I'm thinking of taking a day trip to Punta Umbria or Matalascañas.

Does anyone have info on how to get there from Sevilla and how long it would take?

Thanks!

#31170 - 03/24/04 03:54 PM Re: Huelva: Beaches
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I've been to both and they are nice, although I have heard that the beaches south (southeast?) of Cadiz are much nicer. (Maybe train to Cadiz, a great destination by itself, and bus down the coast, getting off when you see an awesome beach. That would be my choice.) It's nice to be on a beach full of Spaniards, unlike many Costa del Sol beaches.

Matalascanas is an ugly resort on a beautiful beach. If you park near the Parque Nacional Donana, you can walk down the Park's beach and bask in nature. Alternatively, head up to the other side of Matalascanas by the sand dunes and you can take advantage of the beach bars and restaurants. It's an easy one hour drive. We had a car, but some friends took the bus and the key is to take the express. It was not much more than an hour, while the milk run bus took longer.

Punta Umbria took about an hour and half to get to. Huelva is about an hour, but the beach is a little farther. I can't pass on any hearsay about getting to Punta Umbria on public transportation, but it can't be too hard.

I'm so jealous!

#31171 - 03/25/04 06:24 AM Re: Huelva: Beaches
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Silvita writes:
Quote:
I've heard the beaches in the Huelva province are underrated and I'd like to check them out.

I'm going to be in Sevilla and since the coast is an hour away, I'm thinking of taking a day trip to Punta Umbria or Matalascañas.
The beaches in Huelva are not underrated. They're just not as nice as those in Galicia or Asturias/Cantabria.

If you are driving, that's fine. It should take about an hour to Matalascanas: go south to Almonte on the west side of the Donana. I don't know if the DamasSA bus goes por pueblos Sevilla-Huelva or if it just does that going in the other direction. I have been at the Playa del Parador in Mazagon several times: Once, I took the bus Sevilla-Huelva, then caught another (por pueblos) bus to Mazagon. It took a total of about 2-hours but I made excellent connections. Most of the Passengers got off at the University. Usually I call and relatives come to pick me up in Huelva. That time, they were at the Mercado in Huelva (about 300m from the Bus Station) when I was in the bus station.
P.D.
If you are driving, make it a point to stop at el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio about 10km south of Almonte.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1581 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments