Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30391 - 05/15/03 11:13 AM tapas and raciones
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I hope this won't seem like a strange or uninformed question, but...

Is it possible in a bar to order a "tapas" as opposed to "racion" of something? If so, is that what you ask for?--e.g. "una tapa de queso manchego?" I suppose it's easier when you can order an amount of something--e.g. tres croquetas. I ask because sometimes when I'm traveling alone I'd like to have a snack at the bar (other than a pincho de tortilla--which I like, but sometimes you want something else!)but don't always want an entire racion of something. confused

#30392 - 05/16/03 05:38 AM Re: tapas and raciones
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
liz49 writes:
Quote:
Is it possible in a bar to order a "tapas" as opposed to "racion" of something? If so, is that what you ask for?--e.g. "una tapa de queso manchego?"
Exactly! I often order media ración of anchoas o boquerones or whatever when I want to sample a bit of this and a bit of that.
So, you may order una tapa, una media ración o una ración of whatever you see on or behind the bar. cool

#30393 - 05/16/03 05:43 PM Re: tapas and raciones
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I have found that some bars only serve tapas at the bar. If you are seated and there is table service, they may only serve raciones and media raciones to the tables. But it doesn't hurt to ask! Also be aware that some regions don't do tapas so much. Last summer in Mallorca, we found that their traditions are a little (or a lot) different than on the mainland. Still awesome food, though!

#30394 - 05/16/03 10:25 PM Re: tapas and raciones
OhMike Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Liz, you can always make friends and share the racion. smile
-OhMike (trying to think out of the box).

#30395 - 05/17/03 06:54 AM Re: tapas and raciones
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You can order either tapas or raciones (or medias raciones in some places). You should usually find a big board with all that the place offers, and also you should look behind the bar as Eddie said.

In some places the tapas are not sold. They are offered gratis when you order a coke, a beer and so on.

Hope this helps smile

Fernando

#30396 - 05/19/03 07:10 AM Re: tapas and raciones
Miguelito Offline

As Fernando says, it varies a lot for each bar or town.
In Salamanca for example, you can look at the long 'barra' full of tapas, and you choose the one you want, or you can ask what they have. Here the tapa is a really small one (you need 4 or 5 to have a meal), and you have a a small price over the drink if you add the tapa. In Granada is similar, although you can get also tapas for free.
In Madrid, it's normal to get a small tapa for free, but normally it'll be from the cheap ones (bravas, olives, ali-oli...). Try to ask for 'medias raciones'. The idea of making friends is also good..The best number for tapas is between 4 and 6 persons.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1926 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments