Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30105 - 02/13/03 09:33 PM Churros in Madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Where is the best place to get churros in downtown Madrid?

#30106 - 02/14/03 04:58 AM Re: Churros in Madrid
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Chocolateria San Gines just of c/Arenal is widely known as the original and best, but really any half decent cafe will offer up excellent churros.

#30107 - 02/14/03 08:39 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Is it near the Puerta del Sol?

#30108 - 03/21/03 05:44 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I've been several times to Chocolatería de San Ginés and I think they are not as good as they are meant to be by their reputation and by their prices!!.

You can try Cafetería RocaBlanca at Fuencarral, 46. Their "chocolate con churros" are quite good and much cheaper than the ones at San Ginés.

#30109 - 03/24/03 12:50 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
liatris Offline

Loc: Glenoma WA USA
We avoided San Gines because of its high profile and prices. Found reasonable chocolaterias near P. de Sol on Carretera de San Jeronimo, just a couple short blocks from the Tio Pepe end of Sol...also a decent place on Atocha,....the one off S. Jeronimo was very accomodating...the man behind the counter sold me some bags of Chocolate, even, so I could make it at home. (Later I discovered it in the supermercado. Oh well. It was fair priced.....)

#30110 - 03/24/03 03:50 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Any hole-in-the-wall dive restaurant will probably have the most wonderful, cheap, greasy, sponge-like (for dipping into the pudding they call hot chocolate here), crusty churros. There is a nice small cafe on the corner of Atocha, across from the theater and the underground parking, off Plaza Angel (south-east side of the Plaza, across from it) which is really good. I also like the German restaurant in Santo Domingo, north-east of the city.

As always, I recommend staying away from the high-profile tourist whatevers (hotels, restaurants, sights, etc.), and eating where the locals eat, stay where they stay. Otherwise, why go to all the trouble to be around more tourists just like yourself? Stay home in that case, and help unclog the streets.

I once met an extremely beautiful Iranian lady who lived in Los Angeles, California waiting to cross the street outside the Prado. I invited her fro a coffee at Plaza Mayor since she was looking for the place. She whined about how no one spoke English, how she wished Spain was more like LA! I suddenly remembered an appointment I was late for and left. I hope she made a bee-line for LA and never leaves the place again. Everyone would be happier.

Martín de Madrid
President
1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#30111 - 03/24/03 03:53 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Correction: change "dive hole-in-the-wall restaurant" to "dive hole-in-the-wall café!"

Martín

#30112 - 03/24/03 11:09 PM Re: Churros in Madrid
hotlantabear Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Martin De Madrid: Great to hear other people that think the same about traveling. When I travel, I try to get as far away as possible from touristy sites , and find the gems that the locals frequent. Thanks to all that post on this site ... I leave for Madrid on Wednesday for a solo trip (1 week) and I've gotten so many great tips! MadridMan, a special thanks for this great site!! smile

#30113 - 03/25/03 05:59 AM Re: Churros in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Martin de Madrid writes:
Quote:
I once met an extremely beautiful Iranian lady who lived in Los Angeles, California waiting to cross the street outside the Prado. I invited her fro a coffee at Plaza Mayor since she was looking for the place. She whined about how no one spoke English, how she wished Spain was more like LA! ... I hope she made a bee-line for LA and never leaves the place again. Everyone would be happier.
All Iranian ladies are not like the one you describe! rolleyes I shared a taxi once from Barajas airport to Madrid's main Bus Station with one beautiful Iranian lady after an EasyJet flight from London. She spoke perfect castellano (using the conditional & subjunctive tenses as appropriate). She was on her way to Salamanca - I was catching a midnight Secorbus to Sevilla. ¡Que lastima! wink

The best Churros I have encountered in the Madrid area are in Barajas Pueblo - Toribio's Churreria on the Plaza. Airline crews from all over have breakfast there. Sorry, it's not in downtown Madrid, but it's definitely worth a mention. cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2591 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments