Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#29227 - 05/10/02 10:35 PM How do you buy a beer?
MichaelOH Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
Yeah, silly question, I know. But seriously, do the little bars and cafes typically take credit cards?

Are ATMs plentiful? Inexpensive?

I have never been to Spain but my first instinct is to carry very little cash and try to charge. Does anyone have any thoughts on this strategy?

#29228 - 05/10/02 11:52 PM Re: How do you buy a beer?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi MichaelOH! Welcome to the group!
I don't think most (or any) small bars or cafés will accept credit cards, no. But ATMs are plentiful so paying in cash shouldn't be a problem. The cost to the establishment to accept credit cards is high, much higher than in the USA so this is one reason they won't accept them. Cash is king in Spain. smile In fact, in many or most places which offer the Menú del Día lunch also won't accept credit cards. Usually only the better restaurants will. Good luck!

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29229 - 05/11/02 10:11 AM Re: How do you buy a beer?
MichaelOH Offline

Thanks MadridMan.

Are the ATM transaction fees similar to the US?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, I am looking for a language school to attend in the next few weeks, in Spain. I have searched this board for comments and remarks on language schools and found very little. Could you point me to a board or other link where I might research the experiences of those wise students who have gone before me?

#29230 - 05/11/02 05:14 PM Re: How do you buy a beer?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hola! I do not have first hand knowledge, but I am going to a language school in Málaga for two weeks in June. I have talked to some kids who were there in the past and it comes highly recommended by Duke University. They use it as part of their summer program. http://www.malacainst-ch.es

#29231 - 05/11/02 10:03 PM Re: How do you buy a beer?
MichaelOH Offline

Thanks Sel. I have looked at the websites of a number of schools. They are all the same, aren't they? It seems to me the only way to get any good information about them is from former students. If anyone knows where I might find a collection of such reviews I would appreciate the address.

#29232 - 05/11/02 11:41 PM Re: How do you buy a beer?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Yes, it is hard to decide, based on a web page, but there are differences if you read the fine print. Look at the facilities, and the accreditations. I was lucky to find a major university that used this school and I spoke several times with the professor in charge of the program (who had been there numerous times) to find out specifics. He put me in contact with past students which really convinced me that this would be a good choice. I am taking two kids so my needs are a bit complicated. Location is an important consideration as well.

Good luck in your search and I will post our experience when we return. We will be in Spain for 44 days and only in school 10. We are living with a family during that time. It should be interesting!!!!

#29233 - 05/12/02 07:51 PM Re: How do you buy a beer?
MichaelOH Offline

Good luck, Sel.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1965 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments