Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28329 - 11/15/01 05:56 PM salsa brava
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
supplies brought back from last trip are running out.Anyone in UK know where to get it from??

#28330 - 11/15/01 07:10 PM Re: salsa brava
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's my understanding that Spain's brava sauce, used in Patatas Bravas for example, is a patented secret and you cannot find it in stores anywhere, only provided on your foods in restaurants. Untrue?? mick nick, where did you get yours????

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28331 - 11/15/01 07:30 PM Re: salsa brava
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Here Madridman's expert in spanish cooking smile

The salsa brava is a class of tomato sauce that it is usually used in the classic recipe: patatas bravas. It is not a secret, in Spain you may buy it in almost every supermarket.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 onion
1 piece of garlic
1 glass of tomato
a bit of saffron
1 little spoon of sugar
a bit of cayenne pepper
a bit of colorant (as the one in paella)
1 spoon of flour
a bit of vinegar
olive oil
salt

Chop the onio and the garlic in a saucepan by frying very slowly in olive oil. Add the pepper. When is all chopped, add the saffron, stir it up and add the squeezed tomato with the sugar. Let it boil some minutes. Add the flour diluted in water. Mix it well and add more water with the colorant. Let it boil 15 minutes. Add a little of vinegar, mix it. Then shake it and that's all.

Enjoy!

#28332 - 11/16/01 05:26 AM Re: salsa brava
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Fernando , what can I say? Cien MIl Gracias!!!

MM-think most if not all supermarkets have it on the shelf.Though there will be a few less than usual on the shelves of Champion just up from La Latina metro come February 10 cool laugh

#28333 - 11/16/01 06:36 AM Re: salsa brava
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
MM, the brava sauce they serve at "Las Bravas" it is indeed patented. However, I guess it's the same with Coke, Pepsi and the alike. There is always someone who claims to have the "original" or the "best" recipe with a secret ingredient.

#28334 - 11/16/01 02:14 PM Re: salsa brava
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Fernando,

Gracias ... the combination of vinegar and cayenne probably give the sauce its fiery edge.

I have only tried patatas bravas once and I don't remember if the patatas were fried or simply baked. Como preparais las patatas en este caso?

Maria

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#28335 - 11/16/01 03:29 PM Re: salsa brava
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, I have always seen the potatoes fried. I have also search for the recipe and it says that they should be boiled fried for 5 minutes, then choped into pieces and then fried.

Also, I have found another recipe for the salsa: tomato sauce plus moustard plus tabasco. But I think this is a trick, and the classical recipe is the first one I posted.

¡Cómo pican!

Fernando

#28336 - 11/17/01 06:38 AM Re: salsa brava
josemacall Offline

Loc: Galapagar(Madrid)
I have seen the potatoes, at first semi-boiled, and at last fried, so they are not so 'crunchies' as they are only fried, and a little more soft.
About the sauce, Fernando has given the right recipe. Those who use tabasc,do not make a real Brava sauce.

#28337 - 11/20/01 10:32 PM Re: salsa brava
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Patatas bravas!! Joe and I had them for the first time at some very popular, local bar/restaurante not far from the Gran Vía. Joe was reluctant (surprising, since he likes spicy food) but we ordered a ración and they were great. Perhaps I'll try to make them here at home.

#28338 - 11/20/01 10:59 PM Re: salsa brava
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, everyone--
Here's my favorite recipe for patatas bravas. It's from the May 1992 issue of Bon Appetit magazine (ALL Spanish recipes!!). The recipe is from their "Favorite Restaurant Recipes" section, and was provided by La Ardosa in Madrid. The nice thing about it is that you probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen right this minute! (So go whip up a batch and let us know what you think!!)

Patatas Bravas

4 servings

3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock or low-salt broth

1.5 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch cubes

Heat 3 tbsp oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, tomato, garlic, and paprika and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Transfer mixture to blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point.)

Heat remaining oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown and cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to paper towel and drain. Divide among plates. Simmer sauce and spoon over potatoes.

This recipe reminded me of the patatas bravas I used to have outside of the Plaza Mayor in Salamanca. We ate them with toothpicks, at room temperature, and they were spectacular with a cold beer.

Enjoy!
Tara

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2187 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments