Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28202 - 10/24/01 09:42 AM American Grocery Store
Marlene Offline

I keep hearing about this "american grocery store" where you can buy US products such as cereals, etc ...
Any idea where this is exactly ... metro stop? and has anyone been there ... what can you get ? Since Im on the subject ... Ive heard of the Latin American store as well, for beans, etc .... any clue ?
Thanks ...

#28203 - 10/24/01 12:02 PM Re: American Grocery Store
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Marlene! Welcome to MadridMan's Spain Message Board where Spain-loving peoples from all over the word share ideas, questions, and experiences about Spain on the whole.

Question: Where in Spain is this "American Grocery Store" located?? You didn't happen to mention the city in your posting. We may be able to give you an address if we have this much, but need a starting point. Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28204 - 10/24/01 12:22 PM Re: American Grocery Store
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I'm not necessarily big on them, but in most large cities, in at least the most centrally located El Corte Inglés department stores - the basement (i.e. floor below the main entry for the stores) is a market. Everything from manchego to Cheerios to wine. The products are pricier - not always as fresh - but the convenience is great.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#28205 - 10/24/01 04:47 PM Re: American Grocery Store
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Cereals are widely available at every store in Spain, unless you specifically need to eat some weird kind of cereals. The most popular ones are available Kellogs .

As for the rest of the things, Puna is right. El Corte Inglés has a wide range of international products. You may find there what you are looking for.

About the prices, El Corte Inglés has a selection of products on offer every week or every two weeks. In such cases they have very good prices.

Unlike what Puna said, I've always found their products to be fresh and with high quality.

#28206 - 10/24/01 05:44 PM Re: American Grocery Store
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I tend to think that the shop Marlene is referring to is "American Taste".

There are 2 or 3 of this stores in Madrid, and you may find in them some typical american products, but none of them are fresh (thin of how much it may cost to transport via airplanes!).

One of this stores is located near Plaza de la República Argentina, in one of it's adjacent streets (40 meters awar from the Plaza). I've been there and I was quitely impressed. The only problem is that it is very expensive (at least from my point of view).

Also, there are some "american" products you may find in any supermarket or big store. Sometimes they are not exactly imported products but more an american trademark licensed to be produced here on in any other place of Europe, and then exported here.

Fernando

#28207 - 10/27/01 10:53 AM Re: American Grocery Store
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Antonio - Gracias for adding the link and correcting my spelling; it seems I can not spell in English or Spanish! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2058 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments