Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19104 - 03/25/01 11:28 PM favorite city?
Lindsaywmoore Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Hey everyone! I am taking a month long trip to Spain this july & am taking suggestions about where to stay. I was in Spain three years ago to study in Salamanca. Of course, I fell in love with the city... It was the perfect mix of small-town and cosmopolitan lifestyles. I am looking for something similar & wanted to be in the South. I traveled the Northern parts pretty extensively during my last trip, but didn't get to the south at all. I am currently thinking about Granada... wanting to aviud the beach towns due to the huge influx of foreigners (like me!!!)

Ok, I'm rambling... I would love some suggestions as all I know about Spain is Salamanca.... Thanks all! Lindsay

#19105 - 03/26/01 04:33 AM Re: favorite city?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I'm always going on about this, but if your "beach towns" include the Andalusian provincial capitals Cadiz, Malaga and Almeria, then they don't get a "huge influx of foreigners" (except maybe Malaga during Feria - beginning of August - but then it has a huge influx of Spaniards as well).

Granada looks like a good choice to me. Be warned, inland Andalucia gets very hot in summer. Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada are all like ovens from around 12am upto 7 or 8 pm (or later). Try and get air conditioning!

#19106 - 03/26/01 11:33 AM Re: favorite city?
Lindsaywmoore Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks Boqueron! I had not really considered any of the cities that you mentioned... should I? What do you think about Sevilla? I had wanted to stay away from really large cities (Madrid & Barcelona), but I am not sure how Sevilla fits into this picture. Truthfully, I had such an amazing experience in Salamanca that I can't imagine a city that would compare & I am looking for that same small town feel... I would like to be somewhere where I can actually get to know the city & the people... maybe see the same face a time or two. Ok, thanks again for the time & advice. Hope you are having a good day! Lindsay

#19107 - 03/26/01 02:07 PM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I also studied in Salamanca and enjoyed its size. Granada and Sevilla are bigger, but I doubt you will find them unmanageable. Cordoba is perfect and lovely, but I would imagine it would get a little dull after a few days (anyone have thoughts on that, I am definitely not an expert). Part of what was so intriguing were the silences there. It was so peaceful. You get that in Sevilla, those cool, quiet streets where you can just make out a few echos of cooking and conversation sounds through the courtyards, but then you also have the option of hanging out and meeting the freindly couple seated next to you at the restaurant. I found the people in the south to be more warm/friendly initially than those of Castilla y Leon - typical of any country with a noticeable climatic difference between the north and south, I guess. Which made it fun as a traveler.

the breakdown - Salamanca has a/o 150,000 people; Granada - 250,000; Cordoba -300,000; Sevilla - 700,000. Eachof those cities have a different feel to them. I also thought Cadiz was interesting.

Are you planning to stay in one place for some time or travel around a bit?

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 03-26-2001).]

#19108 - 03/26/01 04:02 PM Re: favorite city?
kbl Offline

Nicole, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that Northerners are less friendy and warm than Southerners...
I agree that Córdoba is a wonderfully peaceful place. It won't be crowded with tourists. It's one city in which it's actually FUN to get lost! But as Boqueron said, it's VERY hot in the summer.

#19109 - 03/26/01 04:47 PM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

No. I didn't mean to imply that. What I meant is that they seem a little more reserved initially, but wonderful when you get to know them. Just an observeration, not a judgement. that is of course a huge generaliztion, so... It all depends on the traveler and the individuals he or she meets in the process of exploring a place

#19110 - 03/26/01 05:27 PM Re: favorite city?
liatris Offline

Loc: Glenoma WA USA
My never-to-be-missed choice would be Granada. I think it's one of the most romantic cities in Spain, especially if you visit the Alhambra and Generalife around dusk, when the crowds disperse. It's filled with fascinating little nooks and crannies to explore, for shopping or for visits with history -all within walking distance. I never worried about turning my students loose for awhile. It was easy on the budget, clean, and friendly. Don't miss it!

#19111 - 03/26/01 05:59 PM Re: favorite city?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I have never been to Salamanca but the pictures of the plaza mayor look beautiful. But the 'allure' of visiting a Spanish town full to the brim of American students (partying at night) spending their parent's money on a semester abroad doesn't appeal at all to me. Why would I want to go to Spain to see that? I want to be around Spanairds and go to the places that they go and not be bothered by roving groups of American students/tourists. Is this a valid concern for visiting Salamanca?

Leche

#19112 - 03/26/01 06:46 PM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

There are a lot of foreigners (I didn't meet as many Americans studying abroad there as Scandinavian, German, and Italian students), but don't forget that the university there is for Spanish students, and there are many there, as well tons of people that grew up and raised their families there. The evening paseo is made up of older spanish couple or young families, dads with their kids in tow, enjoying an evening stroll.

The first semester I was in Salamanca I hardly ever went out dancing, etc., and I had a great time! Just enjoy the architecture; sit in the Plaza Mayor and read the newspaper or a book at a cafe and watch everyone - it just makes you happy to be alive! The city is a living museum.

Actually, at our Los Angeles dinner Calibasco told me something really cool that he and some friends had done there, and now I am dying to try it. They bought these big candles at the religious store and took a "travelogue" that had been published in the 16th century (?) and followed the writing/ sites in the evening, admiring that everything was still there so long afterward. I am sure he could give you the name of the writer; I immediately forgot of course. I was so impressed with him! What a cool thing to do, and such a great way to explore the city.

Also, if you are interested in smaller places, There is one particular village a little ways outside Salamanca that is amazing. La Alberca. I have some beautiful pictures of a dreamy, sunny afternoon wandering around the old, old streets and the countryside.

#19113 - 03/27/01 03:58 AM Re: favorite city?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Lindsey - the main reason for considering the "beach towns" I mentioned is that they are somewhat cooler in the summer than the inland cities, and, well, have beaches (almost entirely occupied by Spanish)! I don't think any of them can compete for architectural splendour etc.

I have a thing for Granada, and it's close to the Sierra Nevada where you can escape the heat a little if you need to (also the direct bus to Malaga takes only about 1 1/2 hours). Cordoba is a quieter place, but is a joy to walk around (in the shade!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1628 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments