Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18592 - 01/20/01 12:47 PM Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
Has anyone spent time exploring the wine making area?

My wife and I spent 15 days between visiting Madrid, Sevilla, Cadiz, and Jerez... too many museums/tourist sites for me... I would like to learn/see more of the rural area south and west of Sevilla; my long term goal would be to find a town; with services; and spend some time and really become an "almost spainard".. we are looking at making a move to Sevilla/Madrid but I want to be able to "get out in the country" I have more than a little interest in viticulture and enology.. I have a real need to make some oloroso dulce if possible..at least participate..

#18593 - 01/20/01 07:29 PM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
chopchi Offline

I suggest you look up the web site for Stories from Spain by a British author,Lawrence Bohme.I think you will get a
quite a chuckle from his experiences! Happy reading.....

#18594 - 01/21/01 08:48 AM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I was intrigued by the title of your post: Wine country rural Spain/where is it? Then, in the text, you limit your search area to Andalucia. In '99 on a Talgo Madrid-Galicia a wine merchant described the wines of the Minho valley (Ribeiro, Albariņo and Rosal) for us as we travelled through that area and saw the many Viņas (Grapevines). The Rioja region of north central Spain is also noted for producing some of Spain's finest wines; and Spain's Cava wines are from Cataluņia. There was a 'thread' under Food, Drink, etc. by someone who actually visited several of the Bodegas in la Rioja region.

IMHO you should recognize that there are many other wine producing regions in Spain and redefine your search parameters to just Andalucia.
BTW
Try Sanlucar de Barrameda where Manzanilla comes from.

#18595 - 01/21/01 12:42 PM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
I should have indicated that we will be taking up residence in the Madrid area; so as to establish a business; however, I like warm weather so I am trying to learn as much as I can about southern Spain... it is there that I am anticipating spending my "free" time..; I am aware of the publications that feature the many areas of Spain... I was hoping to find someone who has spent time in the southern area... we have also included Sevilla as an alternative site for our business; thanks for any information/referrals that might be forthcoming....

#18596 - 02/02/01 03:27 AM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
jllawson,
first of i wish you much luck in your hopes to become a 'spaniard' in whichever region you ultimately choose. the making of jerez is quite common in average households, and i doubt you'd have much trouble in acquiring knowledge of this in random wine stores around madrid, as well as conversing directly with your neighbor... it seems like every household has a cask with aging jerez in it...

others have suggested rioja, and south/southwest of sevilla as great wine regions. i suggest castilla-la mancha, if not only because it is spain's most diverse wine region, but also because it is inexpensive and the people are most friendly... of course, it could be that i am biased!

i recommend valdepeņas, manzanares, la solana, daimiel, vllnva de los infantes, albacete, toledo, etc... for wine areas of castilla-la mancha. i worked on a family vineyard in vllnva de los infantes and really enjoyed it... normally, gypsies do the actual picking of the grapes. i helped to put the grapes into the presses ( the same ones we use for olives ), and then monitor their fermentation in the tinejas(giant clay vats)...

you will most likely be volunteering, if you
decide to go into 'winemaking.' many
vineyards are either family owned, with
plenty of help a phone call away, or part
of a co-operative, again, with help a phone
call away. many indulge tours, but with
notice only. they will also offer wine
tastings if you ask. talk to 'nuestro padre
jesus del perdon' in manzanares. they are
quite amicable and will receive you, often
even same-day. also, bodegas Felix Solis
(of Valdepeņas)
will receive you on a tour; call for times
and days. this bodega is a family friend
of mine too. of interest, Valdepeņas used
to have the most bodegas of any city in
spain. most have gone bankrupt; a shame.

winemaking is not only an art, but an experience! i hope to retire someday into winemaking... maybe i'll be making wine in the same bodegas where i learned in twenty-five years or so... in any case, i wish you
luck in your pursuit of wines and sherrys!

good luck!

#18597 - 02/02/01 08:43 AM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
I have a very good friend who lives in Madrid but his family has a summer home in the country. It is a tiny village called Fuenteduena. It is near Segovia. This is an easy 1.5 hour drive from Madrid.

There are several wineries near there. I don't think it is an official region, but they call it Duraton. The official region *might* be ribera del duero.

Here are some websites that mention the area: http://www.dip-valladolid.es/turismo/re1.htm

Darn, I can't find my favorite one - I'll try later.

I am going to Madrid in March and hope to take in a winery tour while there.

!Suerte!
jaimemiguel

#18598 - 02/09/01 05:35 PM Re: Wine country/rural Spain where is it?
Corey Offline

Loc: Cedar Falls, IA, USA
Hi

Here's a site I found while surfing the other day that might be of some use to you...
http://vino.eunet.es/vino/index.html

Scroll down and check out the "Winery Visits" page...

Corey

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2395 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments