MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18402 - 12/08/00 10:09 AM Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Hello MM members

I will visit Jerez when I explore the Andalusia area soon - Jan. 6-13, 2000. I am sure to focus on Andalucia and visit Morocco some other time.

Jerez lies some nine miles inland from the sea between Cadiz and Sevilla and is the principal of three sherry towns. The others are on the coast are Sanlucar de Barrameda at the mouth of the ríver Guadalquivir, and Puerto de Santa Maria. Between them they produce virtually all the genuine sherry that is shipped to the rest of the world.

There is not much difference between the wines of Jerez and Puerto de Santa Maria, except that the latter are noted for their fino and amontillado types of sherry. Sanlucar, however, produces quite different wines: all the manzanilla is made there, wíth its distinctive fresh flavour that cannot be reproduced anywhere else.

Jerez celebrates its famous Horse Fair at the beginning of May each year.

Jerez is also famous for its long-standing flamenco tradition, making it an excellent place to witness this extraordinary art. VISIT: www.andalucia.com/flamenco to enter an extensive site focused on flamenco. The Centro Andaluz de Flamenco (Tel: 956 349265) is housed in the Palacio de Penmartín, which stands on the Plaza de San Juan, No. 1.

#18403 - 12/08/00 10:50 AM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Mclarke - have a great time with the fino! Find your favourite old bar, and try it with some Jamon Serrano (Iberico) at the beginning of the evening. For me that is the taste of Andalucia.

#18404 - 12/08/00 12:56 PM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
mclarke Offline

Thanks El Boqueron,

I will venture on the Andalusia food!

#18405 - 12/08/00 02:55 PM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
mclarke,
I went to Jerez when I was 12 years old and I loved it! Cadiz is a beautiful city too. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!
besos, Nuria

#18406 - 12/08/00 05:53 PM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
You should swing by Sanlucar, the manzanilla is really excellent. My wine expertise isn't that extensive but it was my favorite wine in all of spain (and the rest of the world for that matter). I still have a bottle left somehow even though I came home with three.
The bull ring there is pretty cool. swing out there at night if your looking for a party, its normaly pretty kicking. There are quite a few cool discotecas in Jerez that are worth visiting if you are into that sort of thing. I loved all those plastic cups!

#18407 - 12/09/00 05:34 AM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Don't wait until you get to the 'Duty Free' shops at Madrid's Aeropuerto de Barajas to buy your Manzanilla. You won't find any there. I made that mistake several years ago, so on my more recent trips ('98, '99 & '00) I have purchased my favorite wines in advance. You won't find Albarin~o or Rosal at the 'Duty Free' either. You may have to go to Pontevedra to find those outstanding wines.
BTW, MClarke:
It's el Puerto de Santa Maria, just like it's Jerez de la Frontera; and I hope your trip is Jan 6 - 13, 2001, not 2000, as you wrote.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 12-09-2000).]

#18408 - 12/11/00 08:47 AM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
mclarke Offline

Eddie,

My trip is Jan. 6-13, 2001. I will leave on the night of Dec. 28. Gracias!

Feliz Natviday y nuevo ano!

#18409 - 12/12/00 06:09 AM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Y para ti y todos los demas de este foro: Feliz Navidad y Prospero An~o Nuevo!

#18410 - 12/12/00 08:22 AM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
mclarke Offline

Eddie,

Wow, your Spanish is great! I am just learning a few words; but I will make in Spain since my 20-year old daughter speaks it fluently with the Madrilena accent. Thansk so much for the good wishes.

Gracias!

#18411 - 12/13/00 08:04 PM Re: Jerez-Sherry /Horse/FlamencoTown
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
mclarke,

i am so envious of your trip! i lived in puerto, and can tell you there is a Big difference 'tween puerto and jerez de la F.
The people are far more cordial, it seems. plus, aquasherry is there. aquasherry is the eyesore of andalucia, but somehow is beautiful in it's effort. Also, make sure to tour Osborne.

have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2033 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments