Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17846 - 07/26/00 04:54 PM within an hour of Madrid
Mike Offline

Loc: Northampton, MA USA
Anticipating a trip to Spain next April, including 7 days in the Madrid area, I am in search of a small town within one hour by public transportation from Madrid where I can spend the day,read the paper,drink coffee, and hopefully find people willing to speak Spanish with me. I'm not looking for a bar scene(too old for that) but more a cordial, quaint change of pace from city life. Also in Madrid what are the best opportunities, short of enrolling in a school, for Spanish conversation? Any/all suggestions appreciated.

#17847 - 07/26/00 05:10 PM Re: within an hour of Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Mike! There are many nice towns surround Madrid and within an hour by public transportation. How about Alcalá de Henares? This place is popular with nearly everyone and busses go to/from Madrid constantly as well as the train. They have a wonderful Plaza Mayor too where you're likely to strike up conversations with others sitting on the benches.

As for your being into "the bar scene", keep in mind that "the bar scene" is not like "the bar scene" in the US or other places in the world. Bars in Spain is where families go for dinner, drinks, and conversations. Bars ARE where most Spaniards meet to talk for hours and they may only consume one beer the entire time. Bars are busy all afternoon and until closing time.

I'm sure you'll get MANY other suggestions as to where to stay for your 7 days in the Madrid area. There are PLENTY!! I'd suggest Chinchon too, but it's not as easy to travel between the two - by bus only I believe, but not a city bus like from/to Alcalá de Henares.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17848 - 07/26/00 05:21 PM Re: within an hour of Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Alcala is a great idea; so is El Escorial. But you don't have to leave Madrid to find a quaint neighborhood and people to chat with you. Pick one of the older traditional neighborhoods in Madrid-- Lavapies, Chamberi, or the San Bernardo areas come to mind. Then plunk yourself in the same cafe/bar every day and talk to the regulars! Live in a friendly pension where the owners talk to the guests.
rgf

#17849 - 07/27/00 06:13 AM Re: within an hour of Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Alcala de Henares is a great suggestion but most of the people who 'hang out' around the Plaza Cervantes are 'seniors,' like me. It may be a 'Spanish' thing, but most of the people you see strolling are in pairs, often discussing the news or the results of futbol games. You might do better in the old Jewish quarter.
If you don't want to go that far, consider Barajas pueblo: You can get there by Metro (Metro stop is about 500m north of the main square (Plaza)) or the 114 Bus from Avenida de America or the 101 Bus from Canillejas will take you right to the Plaza. I have already mentioned Toribio's Churreria (open 05:30 to 11:00) on the Plaza as one of my favorite stops in Madrid.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2493 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments