Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91743 - 11/27/12 06:21 PM northern spain
eagle60 Offline

Loc: outside of phila. pa
i have been to spain 15 times with groups of students .now my wife ,sister and brother -in law would like to experience northern spain -we usually go south of madrid. i need some tips on small towns and paradores in the north . i know this is kind of general but we are in the early planning stages. we hope to go in september or october of 2013

#91744 - 11/27/12 08:04 PM Re: northern spain [Re: eagle60]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
My family and I spent a couple weeks in La Coruna. We visited Santiago de Compostela, Lugo, and some of the seaside towns. I loved it! It is beautiful and non-touristy. I don't think we met a single American the whole time we were there. We stayed in a house, so I can't really help out with advice on Paradores, but Galicia is truly a beautiful destination.

Keep us posted on your decisions!

#91745 - 11/27/12 08:51 PM Re: northern spain [Re: teachertraveler8]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have a friend involved in Galician tourism and he gave me this link. It is a converted farm house. I have not stayed here, but I am familiar with area around Viana do Bolo. Very beautiful! eidodasestrelas

#91746 - 11/27/12 11:38 PM Re: northern spain [Re: Mongo]
chivasusa Offline

The best hotel I ever stayed at in my life was Hostal Los Reyes Catolicos. This is the parador adjacent to the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. It's on the praza do Obradoiro, this is one of the best plazas in Spain. I just turned up there and got a room for 100 euros. This was in the low season. ( November) I expected the rate to be triple that. The Pope stays in this "hostal" as does the King. I expected them to kick me out when I turned up at the front desk. Stay at least two nights if possible, I did. You'll spend a lot of time in the plaza just staring at the Cathedral. This Cathedral is very well known, the relicario and the Cappilla del Cristo de Burgos are often overlooked. My favorite northern city is Burgos, much Gothic architecture, Cathedral has the miraculous christ of Burgos, la cartuja de Miraflores has great work of Gil de Siloe, also monastery Las Huelgas. I always stay at Hotel del Cid, request a room overlooking the cathedral. There will be much less tourism than other cities. You are in position to visit Leon from Burgos which should be done to visit the cathedral and San Isadore. Michener covers Leon well in his book Iberia.

#91747 - 11/28/12 05:20 PM Re: northern spain [Re: chivasusa]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
And PLEASE consider País Vasco ... So beautiful ... I travelled there by car with friends .. one of whom is Basque ... but we stopped of in Burgos for lunch ( driving from Madrid where I lived ) . Burgos had a beautiful small square and I hope to update soon with a great place to eat mussels on the shell with onion and vinegar ... It's behind the cathedral and was recommended to us , by telephone , en-route by a citizen of Burgos .. You'd never find this place except by recommendation . We were in the Cathedral square and asked and old lady and she said . ' Of Course , this is such a famous bar amongst us people in Burgos '... I will promise to update with a name for that plate when I can . And Morcilla de Burgos , as your host MM will attest to , is one of the most wonderful of Spanish foods !!
I will add also about País Vasco itself ... fabulous area .. though interesting to understand the language !! COMPLETELY different to Castellano !! A treasure that I hope they maintain .

#91748 - 11/28/12 06:21 PM Re: northern spain [Re: steve robinson]
eagle60 Offline

thank you so much all of you -this is exactly what i was hoping to learn.if i only have 2 weeks is driving a loop from madrid to barcelona ,then along the route to santiago de compostela and back to madrid too much for 2 weeks?

#91749 - 11/28/12 09:13 PM Re: northern spain [Re: eagle60]
chivasusa Offline

I think it is too much. You could leave Spain from Santiago or fly from Santiago back to Madrid, also you could start with the AVE to Barcelona and pick up your car when leaving from there. You'll have a good trip regardless, a lot of the fun is researching it.

#91751 - 12/01/12 04:55 PM Re: northern spain [Re: chivasusa]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
go north way north of Galicia ;,Xove, San
Ciprian Viveiro, etc wonderful rias and mountains coming down to wonderful beaches and plentyof ribeiros, white wines.
two weeks of driving in the areas you mentioned are too much, concentrate in one, the north, Galicia.
cheers

#91753 - 12/03/12 11:27 AM Re: northern spain [Re: pedmar]
eagle60 Offline

ok here's preliminary itinerary(very preliminary) land at barajas ,after a cross atlantic flt spend 2 nights in segovia,drive to burgos or near burgos for 2 nights,then drive to santander for 2 nights then 2nights in or ,near Lugo ,2nights in santiago,start heading back to madrid we have 2 free nights before spending one night in madrid to catch our flight--any small town suggestions and or hotels etc. to stay or visit?. also what hotel is close to or convenient for a barajas flight. we are not locked into any of these places and would definitely like some small town flavor--all suggestions are appreciated

#91755 - 12/03/12 05:32 PM Re: northern spain [Re: eagle60]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I love your itinerary,although I have never been to Santander. Segovia is one of my favorite towns in Spain. We stayed at a hostal in the old town there called Hostal Fornos. It was very comfortable, clean and well situated. Here's a link:

http://www.hostalfornos.com/

There are some other people on this forum who will know Santiago, Lugo, and Burgos. I have been to those places, but not to stay overnight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3030 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments