Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88505 - 10/24/10 03:08 PM Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go....
listener042 Offline

Loc: Istanbul, Turkey
Ok, so we will be in Madrid for the Turkish "Sacrifice Holiday" in 3 week's time. Will be hubby, 10 year old, and me. We will be staying a stone's throw from the Opera Metro station and my better half has this obsession that he will only walk to places when he travels. We've done the Prado and the Reina Sofia, the Retiro and the flea market on Sunday and the little one has a limited attention span. What kind of favorite places can y'all recommend for this time around? We've got a good 4 days....

Oh, better half is interested in seeing a bullfight though that sounds kinda gross to me. Yea or nay?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

#88506 - 10/24/10 05:15 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: listener042]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Even though your "better half" is only into walking, I highly recommend the double decker Madrid Vision city tours. You can get on and off and there are a few routes. Headphones in your language to explain sites and pretty cool to sit up top for a 10 year old.

#88507 - 10/24/10 06:58 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: laduque]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I totally agree that the Madrid Vision bus is great for a good view of the city, and it is especially cool for your 10 year old. Going to the templo de debod is also something unusual and really nice for photos. That is definitely walkable from the Opera House area.

The Retiro park is great too. Make sure you go for Chocolate and Churros at Chocolatería San Ginés (very close to the Opera too!) enjoy!!!

#88509 - 10/25/10 01:06 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: listener042]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By listener042
... We will be staying a stone's throw from the Opera Metro station and my better half has this obsession that he will only walk to places when he travels. We've done the Prado and the Reina Sofia, the Retiro and the flea market on Sunday and the little one has a limited attention span. What kind of favorite places can y'all recommend for this time around? ... Thanks in advance for your advice.
The Palacio Real and Plaza de Oriente (Statues of the Visgoth Kings of Spain); Plaza de Espana w/ Don Quixote and Sancho Panza

#88512 - 10/26/10 05:58 AM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: Eddie]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I will second the Plaza de España, and Parque del Oeste, around parque de la Montaña, an extension see the Debod Egyptian pyramid.

#88518 - 10/26/10 01:49 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: pedmar]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Reguarding Debod Egyptian pyramid, it's quite stunning at sunset! Nice views to the south as well.

#88519 - 10/26/10 02:49 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: Rodolfo]
listener042 Offline

Ahhhh, I actually went to the Egyptian temple in high school, forgot about it till now! Holy Toledo! Yes, that's a big redo!

We did do the San Gines chocolate con churros last winter, though it was wayyyy to rich for the lil one. She really liked the ... in Turkish they are called palmiyer cookies, dipped in chocolate, at the pasteleria on the plaza del sol.

Keep hearing about the Plaza de Espana, will take a look at that online, as well as the other recommendations.

Bus tour would be a tough sell to Mr Walkaholic though I have always secretly wanted to try one of them.

#88580 - 11/09/10 01:12 AM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: listener042]
listener042 Offline

OK, so we'll be there next Tues to Fri (16th to 19th), can anyone tell me if there's any special events on that a 10 year old girl won't roll her eyes at?

#88588 - 11/09/10 03:22 PM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: listener042]
listener042 Offline

OK So what's the story on Parque Tierno Galvá

Is it cool or lame? And how are the Planetarium shows?

Anyone been?

Edited by MadridMan (11/09/10 05:00 PM)
Edit Reason: To embed link.

#88598 - 11/10/10 06:47 AM Re: Madrid in 3 weeks.... tell me where to go.... [Re: listener042]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
with, a girl of 10 years old, you can go to Faunia http://www.faunia.es/
but, you lose one day in that
Tierno Galván Park, I would not recommend it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2708 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments