MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85429 - 10/07/09 12:00 PM Madrid or Malaga
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Hi everyone,

To start with my name is Jean from South Africa. In the next couple of months around about August I am making my move to Spain. My dillema however is which city.

I have been to Madrid, Malaga, Valencia and Barcelona, but I really love Madrid and Malaga. What I am looking for is still a major city feel but relaxed as well. Also, I want to start up a bar over there to keep me busy. I know that bars are very blase and not really worth the effort however, I have a business here which is doing well and I am not really needed to be around for it.

I am putting about 4 - 5000€ away a month, which I have done for the past two, however there were some awesome parties over here so call it one month smile

Which cityis recomended and areas as well if anyone can help me out.I am not looking at spending more than 1000€ per month on renting mind you.

Thanks all!

#85430 - 10/07/09 02:24 PM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello JeanSP! Welcome to our little ALL SPAIN Message Board! wave

Madrid City (and old city center more) has LOADS of bars already and new ones come and go with the wind mainly because if they're not immediately popular the owners can afford to keep them open. Winters are cold and dry and summers are HOT and dry. Nightlife in Madrid is probably more lively than in Málaga City, though. But in WHICH area in Madrid? Hard to say. Chamberí, Huertas, La Latina, Conde Duque areas of Madrid have lots of nightlife so maybe one of those places? Although there there'd be more competition too.

I'm not sure how Málaga City is with bars but imagine there there are plenty too. Málaga, I'd say, is even more laid back than Madrid, the weather's better throughout the year, you have the beach there close, and it actually rains from time to time. The summers are milder in Málaga City than in Madrid but it's more humid too in Málaga City.

Can someone rent bar-space in Old Madrid for 1000 Euros per month? Hmmm.. I really don't know. Depends on the size of the space, I'd imagine, IF you have a terraza, and other factors. I'd GUESS (although I don't know) Málaga City bar space would be cheaper but I'm only guessing.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85431 - 10/08/09 04:53 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: MadridMan]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
i was in Malaga city 3 weeks ago and yes it is a nice city, but not as much going on as in Madrid,there are loads of bars and restaurants which seem to be condensed into one area, not being into property myself i cannot comment, but looking from the outside, Malaga seems to be very Spanish i.e. not touristy people land at the airport and move on down the coast to there destination,stay there and dont venture to a city staying ut on the beach.
so to open a bar in Malaga i expect the location is the main factor

#85432 - 10/08/09 04:58 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Jean ,
If you´re looking for somebody to work for you ....... hehehehehe I´d love to work in a bar ( I did it when I was 18 for a year or so ) . I would say you would be better off in Madrid , but the competition is more than in Malaga . But I have seen a few bar/restaurants up for sale in Madrid .
When I went to Cape Town I met a lady who´d set up a great wine bar called "The Nose" in Waterkant . I think she´s now set up one other bar . That for me was the perfect business .

#85433 - 10/08/09 05:20 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jean , just as a foot note . I met a guy recently .. he´s from Ohio in USA and owns a very successful ( gay ) bar in the centre of Madrid . Maybe I should speak to him next time I see him to ask how difficult ( or easy ) it was to set up a bar in Madrid .

#85437 - 10/09/09 11:05 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
JeanSP Offline

Hi Everyone,

Thank you kindly for the comments. I was was thinking about Madrid more than Malaga is its cold, so I can throw awesome little parties hehe...and there are of course more people. I am sure the competition is tough, but like all businesses it would be.

Malaga to me seems too touristy and I wouldnt want to only cater for tourists, I want to be involved with the locals as much as possible hence my direction always steers to Madrid, location wise I am not sure...I want to scout the areas for about a month to make sure. So wherever I will be anyone keen to join me on bar hopping:)

Steve, yeah Cape Town is an awesome city and running a lively place over there is hard but alot of fun. I would really appreciate if you could get info from the bar owner you mentioned.

Thanks again!

#85438 - 10/09/09 11:07 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
JeanSP Offline

Oh and by the way, I am pretty young, 27, so still got loads of energy for hustle and bustle smile

#85441 - 10/09/09 11:39 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Jean .. this may seem a strange question .. but are you a guy or a girl ? Jean can be both , right ! Not that it matters to me , just interested . I sat next to a girl from Durban for 2 years , her parents were from Mauritius so they spoke French , English and Africaans ... Jean , of course can be a guy´s name in French . I´ll try and get to see the guy who owns the bar to ask how he moved forward .
Bear in mind that , even at 27 years old , you´d have to deal with very late nights .
When i meet friends , it´s usually at 11pm , more or less , and some days we don´t leave until 5am .
Steve

#85454 - 10/12/09 04:25 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: steve robinson]
JeanSP Offline

Hi Steve,

Yeah, I get that often when I communicate via email often, when I eventually meet clients they usually say 'damn thought you were some hot chick'

Pretty funny.
You did a lot of travels here in South Africa, what did you think of it?
I dont mind the late nights, I am more of a night person anyway 5am is to far for me though the sun starts peaking and I have to return to my cave smile
Thanks again

#85456 - 10/12/09 06:40 AM Re: Madrid or Malaga [Re: JeanSP]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
What kind of Bar will you be opening?? An Irish Pub?? I have been to Irish Pubs in Madrid and Lisbon, and they seem to be quite successful. One problem might be finding bar staff who can pull a proper pint of Guinness. Another: last I counted, there were more than 15 Irish Pubs in Madrid. The Market may be saturated. Cruz Campo is part of the Guinness family, so, if you're thinking along those lines, you might want to contact someone at Cruz Campo for assistance.

'Sports Bars' are Big these days; with all the hype leading up to the World Cup, getting your investment into the black might be achieved sooner. Some Sports Bars are 'Theme' Bars: Hawaii motif (for beach resorts), Outback or Walkabout Creek for others.

Then you have 'Gay Bars:' Bars that cater to Gays of either gender.

Good luck with your enterprise!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments