Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25358 - 06/01/08 06:43 AM Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well , the swimming pools ( open-air) opened for the summer season yesterday . Not so many visitors I guess yet since we're still experiencing rain here , but it is still warm out there . It IS forecast to get up towards 82f by mid week ( 28c ) . AND the meteorologists here are predicting that June 15th ( mas o menos ) will mark the end of rain and some extremely hot temperatures all the way through to August .. Hotter than last year ... So pack your bathing costumes if you're headed into Madrid for summer !!

#25359 - 06/01/08 06:22 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's GREAT news! Except I haven't been to a Madrid (or Spanish) swimming pool in my life. Maybe I'll try to make an exception this year but can't imagine lugging all that stuff across town to do it just to stew in my own sweat for hours and then have to walk or take the metro home.

With all the rain we had in May I'd be very very surprised that we could possibly have a hotter summer than last year - but we'll see. If it DOES get really hot, I may be tempted to go to the swimming pool in the Casa de Campo (my closest pool). cool We'll see!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25360 - 06/01/08 09:01 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Really? Last summer was freakishly cool by Madrid standards... The pools in Madrid are usually pretty cold, even on the hottest days. I can only stand them when it is blazing hot.

#25361 - 06/02/08 02:16 AM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Hi Steve, they always do predict warmer weather around the 10th June, and they're usually not far off.

I used to go to the pool in Barrio del Pilar. Always very hot, overcrowded, but with plenty of topless sunbathers if MM fancies an alternative source from his gym wink

The village where I live doesn't open its pool until July. But it is surrounded by grass, has a very nice bar at the end, is quiet during the week, and last year the entry price was 1,50 € for the day (plus they let you out and back in once you've paid) ! So I probably won't be venturing into the Madrid pools this year.

#25362 - 06/04/08 06:12 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
David_H Offline

Loc: UK
I was in Madrid last week and it was too cold and wet to use the pool on the roof of the Emperador. I will be there again from June 12 to 15th.Please let the good weather start before 15th!When it is hot the Emperador pool is a great place to be

#25363 - 06/05/08 04:11 AM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

David H ... Yeah the Emperador is a beautiful place to be ( So i'm told ) .. I will venture up there one day .. But it's a touch expensive to go there on a day to day basis . The public outdoor pools are cheap , and referring to the one at Casa del Campo , in beautiful surroundings with little bright green and yellow parrots flying around jejeje... BUT ... the public pools are no places for solitude ... Always crowded on a hot day .
I prefer quiet ... But these pools are actually quite good fun , and places like Casa del Campo ( Metro Lagos ) cater for serious swimmers ( 1 pool ) , young children ( a separate shallow pool ) and leisure swimmers/sunbathers in the main pool .
David H .. I can only say that the weather is definitely on the turn .. Yesterday was beautiful and warm ... This coming weekend is forecast to be great weather ! .
How much is it now to go up to the Emperador's pool ?
One thing to bear in mind is that the various open-air pools cater for different tastes ( informally ). For example , whilst the pool at Casa del Campo IS popular with all types and with famiies it is very definitely popular with the gay community . If you have a problem with "gay" , and most Madrilenos do not , then Casa del Campo WILL be a problem for you . Other pools also have areas for naturists and so you can enjoy the warm weather as nature intended and without worries .
I've kept a really good article about the pools , published in a newspaper here .. It will be in Spanish . When I find it I'll see if I can post the link .

Steve

#25364 - 06/05/08 12:18 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
David_H Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for the info on the weather,Steve.Last year I think the Emperador pool cost about 30 Euros per day for non-guests,Mon-Fri and more at the weekend.I expect it will be more this year.The pool is excellent,and there are lots of sunbeds. I always stay at the Emperador in August- after a day in that heat it is great to cool down and relax.

#25365 - 06/05/08 03:25 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

30 Euros !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good God .... Do they throw in a massage or something ? I mean , Ok I'm going to give it a try definitely .. maybe next week or so , but 30 euros !!! That's a good night out in Madrid ! When you consider what people earn here ... phew !! BUT the view looks great so i WILL try it .

#25366 - 06/09/08 01:39 PM Re: Madrid: The swimming pools are open!
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Good God I moved to Madrid to escape the rain and cold (not really but it sounds good!) I spent 3 years in Munich and it rained almost every weekend, no I move to Madrid and feels like Munich, Meanwhile Germany is experiencing the most glorious weather 30 (mid 80s) and loads of sun. I can already see the beer gardens!

Meanwhile Madrid confused

To be honest I don't miss the heat but a little less rain might be nice.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3019 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments