Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24610 - 06/07/06 11:27 AM Sites in Madrid
Rubia Offline

I am trying to put together a guide for the the guests from the US who are coming to my wedding in Madrid in July. Any suggestions on places to see (I have my own ideas, but I am looking for others). Basically, they will be in Madrid for about a week. We have planned group day trips to Toledo, Segovia/Torremelanos, and possbily El Escorial/Valle de los callidos. Any other suggestions of things to do as a group, and things they can do on their own? Also, anyone know where I can get a metro map online?
Thanks!

#24611 - 06/08/06 01:20 AM Re: Sites in Madrid
nevado Offline

Here's the link for the metro: http://www.metromadrid.es/

bus: http://www.emtmadrid.es/

#24612 - 06/08/06 06:51 AM Re: Sites in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Madrid: Palacio Réal, Plaza de Oriente, Plaza de España, Plaza Mayór y Madrid de los Austrias (aka 'Old Madrid') Museo del Prado, Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia, Puerta de Atocha, Cibeles, Puerta de Alcalá y el Parque del buen Retiro. cool

In Escoriál I favor the Monasterio de San Lorenzo over the Valle de los Caidos; (Franco's Monument to Franco!) and for Segovia you should make reservations at one of the restaurants if you plan on a group dinner. My personal preference is Mesón del Duque! rolleyes

You might also consider a day tour to Alcalá de Henares, birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes

BTW
I don't know what (or where) Torremelanos is

#24613 - 06/08/06 03:46 PM Re: Sites in Madrid
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
We just visited Aranjuez last week, quite nice and very easy to reach. Renfe Atocha(line C3), the train starts and ends here so no confusion about what train to take. Only thing I'd caution on is not to go in the afternoon. Like everything Spanish they shut down from 2 to 5 everyday, we even had a hard time finding a restaurant. Also an evening trip means cooler temperatures.

#24614 - 06/09/06 07:32 PM Re: Sites in Madrid
Rubia Offline

Eddie,
I meant to write Torremilanos. It's a winery in Aranda del duero, near Burgos. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. They will all be helpful!

#24615 - 06/10/06 12:54 AM Re: Sites in Madrid
wisrich Offline

Loc: wisconsin, USA
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a romantic site in madrid for a proposal. The only places that I could think of to this point are the botanical gardens or the crystal palace. Any suggestions would be helpful

#24616 - 06/10/06 03:52 AM Re: Sites in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
wisrich, you'll find the thread " Proposing to my girlfriend in Madrid...HELP!!! " particularly useful. Good luck.

Rubia, I'm sure a trip UP El Faro de Moncloa in Madrid (the 92 meter tower in Moncloa) gives excellent western-edge views of the city. It's cheap to go up and you can stay as long as you like. They have restrooms, air conditioning, and Coca-Cola machines up top too. But keep in mind the metro line from SOL to MONCLOA is closed until September. El Faro de Moncloa is closed MONDAYS.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24617 - 06/12/06 09:32 AM Re: Sites in Madrid
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

One important thing to bear in mind when planning a day out is that most, if not all of Madrid shuts down between 2 and 5. Including stores museums sites etc, about the only thing you will find open is Corte Ingles and perhaps a few small shops in the Chinese district (La Latina). This is particularly important if your going away for the day as we did to Aranjuez. Got there around 1pm only to realize that shortly everything would be shutting down. On the other hand if your here during the heat of summer you won't want to be out then anyways.

#24618 - 06/12/06 03:05 PM Re: Sites in Madrid
Torrales Offline

Quote:
One important thing to bear in mind when planning a day out is that most, if not all of Madrid shuts down between 2 and 5. Including stores museums sites etc,
While this can be true in small villages or towns like Aranjuez, definitely not in the city of Madrid. All the big museums and chain stores are open 10 to 8 at least. When I say museums, I mean the Royal Palace, Prado, Reina Sofia or Thyssen. And when I say stores, I mean Zara, Springfield, FNAC and, of course, El Corte Ingles.

There is plenty of myth in the Spanish siesta. Most of us (if not all) would like to have it, but unfortunately our job schedules don't fit to it, especially if one works at a more-than-four-employees place in a big city.

#24619 - 06/12/06 05:10 PM Re: Sites in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A simple walk around Chueca and Huertas (and Lavapies-by day) will enrich your visit to Madrid too.

The above "ALWAYS OPEN" for downtown chain stores is mainly true. But in "the neighborhoods", like mine, the grocery stores close (i.e. Maxcoop and Dia), the markets close, the chicken place and the meat place and the fruit place all close, the shoe repair place closes, the stationary shops close, the car repair garages close, and the snacks places all close from 2pm to 5pm.

The only places open (in my neighborhood) between 2-5pm are the bars, restaurants, and also the Chinese-operated convenience stores which are typically open 7-days a week from VERY early in the morning until VERY late at night.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2722 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments