Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24133 - 07/20/05 01:08 PM Windmill Dilemma...
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
I've done a search, and I think I've only succeeded in confusing myself even further! So, any and all suggestions given will be greatly appreciated.

In preparation for my trip to Spain, I read Don Quixote and naturally I have been completely captivated by Los Molinos. In planning our itinerary, it seems as if we will be in the general area and if time permits I would really like to take an opportunity to explore this phenomenon. I understand the two more popular areas are Consuegra and Campo de Criptana, but I'm unsure of which might give the better experience. Okay. Just a bit about our itinerary for that time.

We will have a car. We will be leaving from Cazorla and heading to ??? (I'm unsure and have promised I will not make any plans whatsoever, so I've no idea if we will be heading north, east, or wherever) This also means I've no idea where we will be spending the night, but I suspect it might be either in the area of Cuidad Real or Albacete (just a guess, it could just as easily be Valencia).

The next day is completely open to exploring Castille-La Mancha - we have decided to go whichever road we decide to take that morning, but we do have reservations for Cuenca that evening. We will be spending 2 nights in Cuenca, and then leaving for Madrid for the final leg of our trip. However, I do understand that Cuenca is not that far from Madrid which leaves some room for exploring the area between Cuenca and Madrid.

My S/O has not read Don Quixote and has no idea of what I mean when I speak of these windmill things, but I think if he were to see them he would be impressed. (he likes historical things, especially how things used to work mechanically) Language is not a problem as he speaks fluent Spanish, so a place that is a bit more remote will not be a problem. I have noticed a web site that seems to be recommend here quite a bit that is solely in Spanish and have made note of it and will read through it, but my Spanish reading abilities are slow. (I read Spanish better than I speak it, my S/O cannot really read Spanish at all - we make a good pair!)

What has me concerned is a picture I saw on the web of Consuegra of Los Molinos with a line of tour buses in front of them. Yikes! I'm looking for an experience that is more personal and without the "masses".

Almost all of the entries that I searched on here have experiences from years ago. Can anyone give me insight that is more recent - say, a few months ago? I know that Consuegra has a castle, but it seems that Campo de Criptana is in the middle of a town? Which is less "touristy" (if that is possible)? Or is there another place to consider?

Thank you!

#24134 - 07/22/05 03:03 AM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I haven't been to La Mancha in quite a few years but maybe I can help. Windmills were always built close to the towns, and in La Mancha there are no small little towns, they are all 1000 to 10000 people or so. La Mancha is a scarcely inhabitated plain, so towns are pretty far apart and have larger population than in other areas of Spain.

Both Consuegra and Campo de Criptana are towns, so you won't easily find windmills in the middle of nowhere. However I don't think there will be tons of people going there. I believe that's the less touristy area in the whole country!!!

#24135 - 07/22/05 04:00 AM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Chele --

I followed the windmill route this past spring and wrote about it on this thread. Also, if you search the forum, you will find a few other threads that talk about the windmills.

I found the "hunt" (driving from town to town) fun, but the fact of the matter is once you have seen one, you have seen them all because they are all practically the same... some in better condition than the others.

Don't be frightened off by the tour buses. I discovered that the only tourists to these sites were Spanish tourists and only a very very few venturing international tourists. If you go to Consegra and see the windmills there and are on a tight schedule, I wouldn't spend anymore time going to see the others. We did the route, but we live here and time is on our side. wink

Have a good trip!

P.S. Even if your boyfriend hasn't read El Quijote, I am sure he would recognize these windmills as emblematic of Spain!

#24136 - 07/26/05 01:21 PM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Chele60 Offline

Thank you both for the responses!

I've seen pictures of La Mancha, and yes, it does appear to look rather flat and sort of like what we refer to here in the States as the "Plains". But, call me weird (or perhaps because I live in a somewhat arid, desert-y area) I find the pictures I've seen to have their own beauty. Of course, I also see beauty in the desert as well, so I guess I am weird! But a part of what I want to experience in Spain is different aspects of the country.

And no, I don't expect to see all of the windmills and I don't expect to spend a whole day doing this. I imagine seeking out one place or another, poking around for a bit, taking some pictures, and moving on. I was just curious if either site had more history than the other, or was better in some way. From what I've been able to search out, it appears that Consuegra lays claim to being the "original" Los Molinos from Cervantes work - don't know how true that is! It appears that either place will be about equal, so it will depend on which we happen to be closest to, I guess.

And Spanish tourists are not a problem! It's American tourists I'm attempting to avoid, as I live in a place that is visited by many of them every summer and don't looke forward to being surrounded by them when I go on vacation myself. But I always like the perspective of other nationalities or more adventurous travelers when vacationing!

#24137 - 07/28/05 11:00 AM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Actually, I think the famous windmills which are supposed to have inspired Cervantes are the ones found in Mota del Cuervo (in the south of Cuenca). At least, those are the ones in most of the tourist pictures. Once again, there's really nothing to these things and they take up about twenty minutes of your time, but you might one to check those ones out. They sit up on highground above the town and look over the vast Manchego landscape.

Nearby is Dulcinea's town, El Toboso, and that's worth a visit. very nice.

As for tourists, well you're bound to find them, and especially in La Mancha this year. I was around that area in May, though, and it was a far cry from what you might find in other parts of Spain. It depends on when you are going, but if it's in August, trust me, in probably won't be that crowded. It was hot in May, so just imagine what it will be like now.

One more place nearby is Belmonte which has a very nice castle, from the outside at least.

Just a few more tidbits for you to consider. Enjoy your trip

#24138 - 07/28/05 03:41 PM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Chele60 Offline

Thank you, Murdy! I had not heard of that before, so it is something new to investigate. I'll be in the area at the very begining of October, so I am expecting the weather to still be fairly warm but am prepared for just about anything.

I hadn't thought of Del Toboso, but that could be an interesting side trip as well. We really have no plans whatsoever for those few days, so we are completely open.

Thank you!

#24139 - 07/29/05 07:55 AM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

October should be a great time to go! Tourism will be generally quieter, the weather should be great and the vineyards will be a joy to look at.

Have fun!

#24140 - 10/14/05 06:32 AM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(originally posted by member Chele60 on 10-13-2005 12:13 PM)

Perhaps some here might remember my question a few months back about where to go to see windmills while in Spain. I received some great feeback, and just thought I would share a little of my experience.

We decided to stop at Campo de Criptana instead of Consuegra, which was on our way to Cuenca. As some here mentioned, there truly are windmills throughout La Mancha! I was surprised! When we reached Campo de Criptana, I could feel the excitement building as I viewed the windmills in the distance on the hills above the town. Luckily, the signs to reach the windmills are well marked and we made it easily to the top.

It was in the middle of siesta, so the town was pretty much quiet and there were no other people around at the windmills, so we had them to ourselves. What can I say? They were all I'd imagined and more! I know, such a simple thing in some people's eyes and yet, in many ways, these squat, white buildings were among the highlights of my trip to Spain. Perhaps it was the way in which they sat in a line in quiet solitude and had been for generations. Or maybe because I could picture vividly Don Quixote riding bravely upon Rocinante to "conquer" these notorious giants as Sancho yelled for him to stop. Or perhaps because these, in their own way, were simply another face of Spain which drew me in. I don't know. But the short time walking amongst these gentle giants will live with me forever. And the pictures I've taken are truly my favorites out all 11 rolls I took!

So, thanks to all here who offered their opinions and advice on this topic. And to anyone who is wondering about the windmills of Spain? Yes, I think they are worth it!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24141 - 10/17/05 01:27 PM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Chele60, a wonderful ending for your story. Searching for windmills in Spain. laugh

Quote:
And the pictures I've taken are truly my favorites out all 11 rolls I took!
Time to go digital if you are shooting that amount of photos. wink

Bill

#24142 - 10/17/05 03:23 PM Re: Windmill Dilemma...
Chele60 Offline

Thank you, Bill! Funny how something so simple can really make one's vacation so special.

And, yeah, I really was contemplating the whole digital thing right before we left. But it would have left me with about 3 weeks to research cameras, and I decided to go with what I knew. But next time? Who knows!

(And thanks, MadridMan, for putting this in the right place! I appreciate it!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2327 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments