MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23735 - 03/17/05 12:41 PM side trips from Madrid
karenkfla Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
Hi MM or anyone who reads this!

My Sister and I will be in Madrid from 4/22 - 4/26(short amt of time, I know). First time and not sure what day trip to take. I know there is a lot to do in Madrid, but we want to take one or two train day trips to Toleda, Segovia, Castilla, ect., to experience some countryside. Which place would you recommend? and should we spend a night in any of them or return to Madrid? We want to experience site-seeing but also good cafes, wine, charming towns, and to mingle with locals. We don't need wild nightlife, just hanging out people watching type stuff and Flamenco! Any suggestions? Thanks~K

#23736 - 03/17/05 12:46 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Toledo is first in the list. The more information you get about the place the more you will enjoy it.

Andres

#23737 - 03/18/05 05:44 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
If you go to Toledo, I would suggest taking the bus, not the train. My experience in Spain tells me that for shorter trips (under 4 hours)the busses are more reliable and usually quicker than the trains. Maybe other disagree. For more info about Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca, Avila, etc... just search for them on the message board. Chance are that there are hundred of posts about what to do in each place.

#23738 - 03/18/05 09:35 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
You will want to see Segovia for sure. While you are on the way there stop and see Valley of the Fallen. Also El Escorial. When you are in Segovia and looking at that aqua duct, just remember that it is over 2000 years old, and still functional. It is put together without steel rebar or mortar. Modern civil engineers think have made a major accomplishment when something they have built last through the first good wind storm. smile

#23739 - 03/18/05 10:13 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
I would recommend Segovia for a day trip out of Madrid. The train ride is scenic. The town is charming.

#23740 - 03/19/05 06:18 AM Re: side trips from Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
KarenKFla writes:
Quote:
My Sister and I will be in Madrid from 4/22 - 4/26 ... we want to ... experience some countryside. Which place would you recommend? and should we spend a night in any of them or return to Madrid?
Is that five FULL days you have in Madrid?? If you're flying in from the U.S. day-1 (22 Apr) could be a 'jetlag washout.'

Madrid and environs are NOT the most scenic part of Spain - maybe that's why they it's called la Mancha.

I like both Toledo and Segovia for daytrips from Madrid; but with as little time as you have, I wouldn't recommend sleeping two nights there and two nights here.

Many people will tell you to go to el Rastro Sunday, but not me! I particularly enjoy Retiro Park on a Sunday morning (that's 4/23). There are many 'street' entertainers, and sometimes you're lucky enough to encounter a Cantaor de Flamenco con Guitarrista.
Quote:
We want to experience site-seeing but also good cafes, wine, charming towns, and to mingle with locals. We don't need wild nightlife, just hanging out people watching type stuff and Flamenco!
Flamenco is a late night (early AM) activity at most Tablaos Flamencos. Don't expect to find it in early evening.

As for all that other stuff you want to do in 5-days (like mingling with the locals): Lots of luck!

#23741 - 03/19/05 06:18 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Karen --

When you go to Toledo, I highly recommend you going to the Parador which is outside the city and having a nice cool drink on the "terraza". Seeing as you are going by public transportation, you will probably need to take a taxi to get there. There are beautiful views of the city from the terrace.

For Segovia, the bus is more recommendable than the train since the bus will drop you off closer to the tourist sites than the train. If you happen to rent a car, there is a great road that runs around the outskirts of the city and gives you great scenic views of the city as well.

Have a great trip!

#23742 - 03/20/05 02:25 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
la calma Offline

Loc: Germany
Hola!

I watched a great flamenco show last year at Casa Patas. Very enjoyable. Check out the website at www.casapatas.com
I forgot the exact address, but it is easy to reach by metro, or even on foot, depending on where you are lodging.
Enjoy!

la calma

#23743 - 03/20/05 03:14 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
skygoddess Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just got back from a week in Madrid and I did a day trip to Toledo. The only problem with a day trip to Toledo are all the tourist and school children on day trips and the tour buses! I would suggest going to Chinchon for a nice lunch. The town is only 45 to 50 mins. away by bus. Take the Metro to Conde Casal and hop on bus # 337 Bus company La veloz. The bus leaves every half hour during the week. Same schedule coming back. I would visit this town during the week but not on the weekend that's when the locals head out of town to eat lunch there. Lunch at any of the restaurants surrounding the Plaza are nice. Just make sure that you get a table on one of the balconies. The restaurante Cafe de la Iberia serves lunch up until 5pm. There is also a Parador off of the Plaza Mayor that is worth visiting. During Holy week Chinchon has a Passion play so it may be crowded while you are there. Have fun.

#23744 - 03/20/05 04:16 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Karen --

If you are looking for something a little more off beat the international tourist track, I would recommend paying a visit to the windmills in La Mancha region (province of Toledo and area surrounding Ciudad Real). Think Don Quijote.

We just got back from a day trip from La Ruta de Los Molinos de Viento (the Windmill Route). Not sure how good your Spanish is, as the abovementioned link is to a Spanish page.

It was really interesting to see the windmills that I have always associated with Spain upclose.

After traveling from town to town (you would need to rent a car... but it's an easy drive from Madrid) stop at a local mesón and have some

and a little

and you'll be good to go! wink Have fun!

PS. Hi La Calma!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2051 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments