Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23237 - 08/29/04 06:54 PM camino de Santiago de Compostella
redbird Offline

Has anyone else walked the camino (or part of it)to Santiago de Composella in mid Sept? Would be interested in getting any tips. My husband & I are planning to stay in refuges & will be walking it solo, not part of a group. Thanks.

#23238 - 08/30/04 12:13 AM Re: camino de Santiago de Compostella
super lau Offline

Hi

I walked it the first week in Sept, and it was beautiful. I would recommend that you plan to wear light clothing, but also a jacket for rain/ cooler weather. (The days I walked went completely w/out rain. Water bottles are a must!)Also, pack some sort of hat that will keep the sun off of your face and bring sunscreen. My biggest problem during the hike was the sunburn on the back of my legs. I walked the Camino Frances, and the townspeople were wonderful! Many of them sold food or hiking sticks in the streets for very reasonable prices. I see no problem in walking as a couple other than you need a very good map, since the roadsigns can get a bit confusing. (There are easier trails and harder ones, marked w/ different colors.) I can't tell you a name of a good hostel, since I went with a group that arranged everything, but I do know that if you are Catholic and want to hike the trail, the church will sponsor you in full. So you might want to consult your priest for some sort of recomendation. Also, if you are walking for spiritual reasons, I would suggest that you bring a small pad of paper and a pen, so that you can leave messages along the roadside altars if you are inspired. If you have any more detailed questions, post, and I'll try my best to help.

Lau

PS Galicia has about a zillion brochures for interested hikers, so you might want to look into that if you haven't already.

#23239 - 08/30/04 08:52 AM Re: camino de Santiago de Compostella
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
At least a dozen members of the Board have walked in the Camino - Mecky being the most recent. You might want to do a bit of hunting under the search icon (under the heading "Post a Reply".
According to at least one member who walked it just recently - a good walking stick/cane is invaluable as there a certain portions that are extremely muddy and difficult to navigate - albeit they are vey short stretchs!

#23240 - 08/31/04 10:44 AM Re: camino de Santiago de Compostella
redbird Offline

Thanks, Lau & Puna. I hope we have such good weather & will bring plenty of sunblock, a hat & walking sticks. Thanks also about the previous thread - Mecky's account is wonderful & inspirational! Wwe are looking forward to every aspect of this journey! Robin

#23241 - 08/31/04 10:24 PM Re: camino de Santiago de Compostella
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
It was quite cool and windy in July when we did the Camino Francés, especially in the mountains. We were fortunate and did not have any rain. smile You never know what to expect!! I hope you have a wonderful trip.

#23242 - 09/01/04 01:47 PM Re: camino de Santiago de Compostella
redbird Offline

Thanks, Sel. We are very excited about the fact that we will soon become pilgrims and walk along a path that will leave a footprint on our souls! Robin

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2055 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments