Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22142 - 07/24/03 06:00 AM 3 weeks trip to Spain & portugal by car itinerary opinions
alexpo Offline

Following is my plan for 3 week Spain & Portugal trip by car. We are a
family of two adults and a 13yo boy. And this will be our fist visit
to these parts of the peninsula.
Any remarks as well suggestions for laces to stay are greatly appreciated.

1 Arrive in Madrid, sleep Madrid

2 Madrid, sleep Madrid

3 El Escorial, Valley of Fallen, Segovia, sleep Segovia

4 Segovia and Salamanca, sleep Salamanca

5 Salamanca, Coimbra, sleep Coimbra

6 Coimbra, Batalha, Fatima, Nazare, sleep Nazare

7 Beach Day in Nazare, Alcobaca side trip, sleep Nazare

8 Nazare, Obidos, Lisbon, sleep Lisbon

9 Lisbon, sleep Lisbon

10 Lisbon side trip to Belem and Sintra, sleep Lisbon

11 Lisbon to the Algarve, sleep Salema

12 Free Beach Day, Sagres, sleep Salema

13 Across Algarve, Sevilla, sleep Sevilla

14 Sevilla, sleep Sevilla

15 Audalucia's Route of White Villages, sleep Arcos

16 Arcos, Jerez, Tarifa, sleep Tarifa

17 Gibraltar, Costa del Sol, sleep Nerja

18 Nerja to Granada, sleep Granada

19 Granada, sleep Granada

20 Through La Mancha to Toledo, sleep Toledo

21 Toledo, Toledo/Madrid/fly

#22143 - 07/24/03 11:10 AM Re: 3 weeks trip to Spain & portugal by car itinerary opinions
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
According to your itinerary you are skirting some great places: you should extend your northern 'loop' to Galicia (Santiago de Compostela & Vigo); come down the coast road from Vigo to La Guardia and then cross the bridge from Tuy to Valenca do Minho. That gives you a chance to see a 3rd Century B.C. Castreño (Celtic) village on Monte Santa Tecla {Spain} and Guimaraes (Portugal's 'birthplace'). The Mealhada region on the way to Coimbra has the best roast suckling pig (leitao, pronounced 'lay tone') you will find anywhere on God's green earth.

In Lisbon, I usually stay at Residencial Estrela do Saldanha e-mail restrela@esoterica.pt on Avda. de la Republica, 17. bust since you are driving, I don't know. Carlos Ferreira, co-owner / operator might be able to help you with parking.

On the southern end, you could take the coastal road from Huelva visiting Palos de la frontera where Columbus departed on his first Voyage of Discovery and Almonte where the Santuario of la Virgen del Rocio draws a million people each Pentecost Sunday when the Feria del Campo is celebrated. In other words: don't be in such a hurry to get to Sevilla; there's some pretty good things to see along the way.

In Sevilla last year we stayed at Hotel Acor Monte Olivos on c/Monte Olivet. They have off street parking. They are also very close to Estación Santa Justa i case you want to drop your rental car off in Sevilla and take AVE to Madrid. There are several car rental Agencies in the station.

#22144 - 07/29/03 06:56 AM Re: 3 weeks trip to Spain & portugal by car itinerary opinions
alexpo Offline

Thanks for your suggestions. This is going to be my first visit to Spain and any help is greatly appreciated.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1631 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments