Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21685 - 02/07/03 12:38 AM San Lorenzo del Escorial
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Just reading my OLD travel book on Spain and this place sounds interesting! What do you think? Is it possible to get to or from Segovia from here easily and could it be a day trip from Madird? Is it worth it????

I cant tell you how much info I have gotten from this site in just the last three days! THank you all SO much!

Julia

#21686 - 02/07/03 10:32 AM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
espanglish Offline

Loc: USA, Boston area
Julia,

I did day trips from Madrid to El Escorial on one day and to Segovia on another. El Escorial is about a 1/2 day trip but I found enough to do in Segovia to keep me busy most of the day. My friend and I must have walked 15 miles that day, all through the city, down the hill to the 8-sided chapel. My regret was our limited budget because the roasted suckling pig and lamb are supposed to be incredible in Segovia. (Though still not sure I could stomach seeing a whole baby pig or lamb on the table. I think I am still American enough that I want my meat to come on styrofoam wrapped in cellophane.

Are you from Vieques, Puerto Rico?

Donna

#21687 - 02/07/03 10:59 AM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Donna, no I am not from Vieques but I go there three or four times a year as I love that place with all my heart. It is like going home now... My friends tell me that I must have been mixed up at birth and given to a gringa family instead of the latina family I was supposed to go to... LOL!
Thanks for the help...still not sure if we should spend a night in Segovia..I have kids so maybe it would be better than people wont get so tired and cranky!

Julia

#21688 - 02/07/03 02:16 PM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
espanglish Offline

Loc: USA, Boston area
Julia,

My Latino friends and my Spanish friends say that I have a Spanish soul and was born in the wrong country.

Actually, I remember the train rides being pretty short--no more than 90 minutes each way. My kids love the train. Heck! they could spend 70 of those minutes just going back and forth to the bathroom.

Donna

#21689 - 02/13/03 03:24 AM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
Carpathe Offline

Loc: TX
Can you do both Escorial in the morning and Segovia in the afternoon. Is there public transportation from both?

#21690 - 02/13/03 08:01 AM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

hey im surprised missmadrid99 didnt come to save the day on this topic laugh :p cool smile

#21691 - 02/26/03 07:15 PM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
...I'll save the day by proxy. Do NOT attempt both an El Escorial and Segovia excursion on the same day. You would cheat both cities, as either could hold you for a minimum full day (Segovia a little longer).

The Escorial monastery is an incredible treasure, dubbed the Eighth Wonder of the World at the time of its completion, it will occupy and fascinate you all day. The little pueblo in which it is situated is just that...a little pueblo. Most will do a Valle de los Caídos/El Escorial ½ and ½.

Segovia is worth two-three days to many, but most only spend a day there. There's plenty to fill your time, but the tourist trifecta is usually the acueducto, the cathedral (a gem!) and the alcázar. Loading up on cochinillo at the end of the day just puts the icing on the proverbial cake.

I suggest a night in Segovia, as the walls of the city, at the point where the acueducto enters the old part, are lit up at night, and provide a spectacularly singular sight. I've stayed at the Hotel Acueducto just up the road and both times have had street-facing rooms which provide a view of the city walls and acueducto from the veranda that make the price seem like a steal (it's not too expensive anyway...).

You can get to either place relatively easily. I suggest the train to El Escorial, and the bus to Segovia, although the cercanías (local-regional trains) seem to get to Segovia now without a hitch. Check RENFE for exact timetables!

#21692 - 02/26/03 07:27 PM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hello everybody

calibasco

well i guess you saved the day
eek wink

its looks like shes not the only one specialized in san lorenzo del escorial-related topics laugh

#21693 - 03/24/03 07:12 PM Re: San Lorenzo del Escorial
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
CaliBasco or others: What is the station name for El Escorial? I checked the Renfe site and couldn't come up with anything for San Lorenzo or El Escorial. Thanks! --CC

P.S. Should I post this under Transportation?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments