Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20920 - 06/25/02 01:31 PM costa de la luz
enia Offline

Loc: ireland
does anyone have any recommendations on nice places to go along this costa? looking to chill out on the beach for a while and want something beautiful but not overcrowded!!
also is it too windy to be able to relax on the beach?
what about camping ? is it neccessary to book in advance or is there always room for a small tent?
thanks for the help

#20921 - 06/26/02 05:22 AM Re: costa de la luz
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
enia writes:
Quote:
does anyone have any recommendations on nice places to go along this costa? ... is it too windy to be able to relax on the beach?
what about camping ? is it neccessary to book in advance or is there always room for a small tent?
thanks for the help
How will you be traveling? If you are driving, I would recommend west of the Doņana National Park and wildlife refuge. If you are using public transportation places like Cadiz, Rota, el Puerto de Santa Maria and Sanlucar de Barrameda might be your best bet. I don't know about camping but I would expect that sites are available in the Doņana (i.e., near Matalascaņas). That also puts you close to el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio, site of a huge religious Procession on Pentecost Sunday. There may even be a campground in that area, but I would stay close to the coast.
I've never found it very windy on the beaches of Costa de la Luz: el Puerto de Santa Maria, Rota, and Mazagon are three I have visited.
BTW:
Do not order a pint of Guinness at Rota's Taberna Irlandesa! The idiot at the bar couldn't even 'pull' a pint of Guinness properly.

#20922 - 06/26/02 08:19 AM Re: costa de la luz
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
hi enia! One of my favourite chill out places is between Rota and Chipiona at a camp site called Aguadulce. Everyone there is from Sevilla or Cadiz except for the four guiris from Estepona who have been staying there several times a summer for the last six or seven years! smile

The beaches are all good along there, golden sand and clear clean water. Chipiona is a five minute drive and is a typical Spanish seaside town, with lots of fried fish and Spaniards spending their days on the beach and evenings walking and taking drinks and tapas.

Rota, five minutes from the camp site in the other direction, is home to an American military base and is a completely different town. Neater, more regimented and with a lot more going for it on a night if you are looking for good bars and a bit livelier atmosphere. Eddie's right about the Guinness, although there was once a Spanish barman there who I feel must have been the offspring of an American sailor as he was about seven feet tall eek and he didn't do too bad a job! It's quite a nice pub that one, with dart board, pinball, good music and a great terrace in the square, where you can watch the comings and goings. Its a novelty for me I suppose, but its a smashing atmosphere when an American ship is in. There's invariably a lot of good fun and noise and I can't remember ever seeing as much as a glass smashed! The shore patrol chaps do a good job and everyone seems to respect them. I've wandered off a bit here... !! Yes, I like that stretch of coast, I'm sure you will too! cool

Forgot to post a link to the camp site.. I would definately book if going in July or August, as it gets pretty busy, although you never have to wait more than a few minutes for a hot shower. http://www.vayacamping.net/aguadulce/b2_en.htm

#20923 - 06/26/02 03:16 PM Re: costa de la luz
Vicente Offline

Loc: southern spain
Hi Enia,
Sanlúcar de Barrameda is a beautiful and lively town and, in my opinion, the best place to stay, although the beach is not suitable for swimming. You must drive to Chipiona for the beach (8 kms), hourly buses.
The nearest camping is located in Chipiona, at playa de Las Tres Piedras (3 kms from Chipiona town centre and 500 metres from sea; you will need a car).
2 kms from Rota there’s a nice camping, just 50 metres from a good beach. It is at Punta Candor beach .
There are also other tows with campings such as El Puerto, Conil, Zahara de los Atunes ,Tarifa... The problem of this area is the east wind, Levante. So I recommend you not to go to beaches or towns south of Rota, and stay at the northern towns of the Cadiz province . If Levante blows and is strong you must stay at home.
In Chipiona, Spanish tourism, there are plenty of “hostales” within walking distances from beaches. Check the web site at www.chipiona.net
I like Chipiona and Sanlúcar.

#20924 - 06/29/02 01:32 PM Re: costa de la luz
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey, Enia: I may be in the vicinity of Costa de la Luz the week of 14 July. I usually stay at Hotel Santa Maria in el Puerto de Santa Maria or at Hotel Monte Conquero in Huelva. Find me and I might invite you to some Churros con chocolate (breakfast). cool
I am a septuagenarian from Philadelphia - I have a Republic of Ireland Passport which I use when I am traveling in the EU. My last visit to Ireland was in May (mostly Galway & Connemara); next one in (late) September to Belmullet, Co. Mayo where I have some relatives and where there's a golf course that needs my attention ... rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2071 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments