Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20689 - 04/23/02 03:37 PM Itinerary
LLM Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have 3 weeks. I am leaving in less than 2 weeks, and am still unsure of how to proceed (woman travelling solo, would like to travel as little as possible, soak up as much atmosphere as possible). My plan thus far is:
May 7 Arrive Barcelona
May 10 Take night train to San Sebastian
Day trip to Bilbao
May 15 Leave San Sebastian (or Bilbao)(I was thinking of leaving San S. on the 15th, doing a day trip to Bilbao, lugging my bag, spending the day there, then flying that night or the next day, but am worried about what to do with my suitcase for the day), fly to Sevilla
May 16, 17 Sevilla
May 18 Granada
May 20 Where oh where? To a beach - Cadaques or Nerja? Costa Brava or Costa del Sol? If Costa Brava, would miss Andalucia day trips
May 27 Depart Barcelona

Any comments, suggestions on this itinerary? I am mostly confounded about where to spend the week after Granada. I don't want to rush around too much, would like some relaxation, but don't want to spend a week some where not super special. Thanks, Laura

#20690 - 04/23/02 06:59 PM Re: Itinerary
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Go to Costa del Sol. Nerja and the surrounding towns and villages are absolutely beautiful.

#20691 - 04/24/02 01:51 AM Re: Itinerary
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
I was really underwhelmed by Nerja. I had read a lot about the Balcon de las Europas and when we walked up there it wasn't really anything that spectacular in my opinion and the beach there was tiny and sort of dirty. I didn't get to go see the caves but I am sure there are other places in Andalucia that are more worth your time. I have heard great things about Casares, Ronda and Antequera.

#20692 - 04/24/02 05:07 AM Re: Itinerary
cubatex Offline

Loc: Middle East
LLM,

Recomend Ronda in Costa del Sol. It's a nice town and offers some great views. smile

#20693 - 04/24/02 06:26 AM Re: Itinerary
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Laura writes
Quote:
... I would like to soak up as much atmosphere as possible ...
Any comments, suggestions on this itinerary? I am mostly confounded about where to spend the week after Granada. I don't want to rush around too much, would like some relaxation, but don't want to spend a week some where not super special.
That's a pretty ambitious itinerary for someone who says she wants to travel as little as possible. rolleyes
As for the week after Granada, why not a few days in/around Madrid? Madrid is a super special destination, especially considering that the San Isidro (15 May) festivities continue for the entire month of May. cool

But then: If you're a 'beach bunny,' you could head for Cadiz or Jerez de la frontera or el Puerto de Santa Maria where you have beaches and a lot of other stuff.

Early May, the north coast of Spain may be a bit cool.

I think you may find it better to fly to Sevilla from Bilbao than from San Sebastian: more flights from Bilbao's new airport. You might look into Spanair's flights and fly Barcelona-Bilbao rather than the overnight train Barca-San Sebastian. Why not spend at least 1-night in Bilbao? Take the Bus Vision tour of the city; visit Casco Viejo and enjoy some of that excellent Basque cuisine. rolleyes

You may have an opportunity to 'soak up' more atmosphere than you bargained for when you (and about a million Spanish people) go to Sevilla on 16 May: 19 May is Pentecost Sunday - when the feria del campo AKA Romeria de la Virgen del Rocio peaks. It happens at the Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio in the Province of Huelva (about 80 km west of Sevilla) eek

Last year, SociBus/SecorBus added several additional bus runs Madrid-Sevilla during the week before (3 June) Pentecost Sunday and they were all full to capacity. So, if you don't already have reservations, you may find lodging in Sevilla difficult to come by. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments