Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20486 - 03/18/02 02:56 PM Coto Doņana National Park?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Does anyone know anything about Coto Doņana National Park? When is the best time to visit, where to stay, etc.? I thought it might be nice to throw in a few nature spots on our next trip.

#20487 - 03/18/02 08:30 PM Re: Coto Doņana National Park?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Carole Chiaro! I haven't heard of this place myself, but these two sites both have pretty good descriptions of the place -- they don't mention lodging, however.

http://www.andalucia.com/environment/protect/donana.htm

http://www.marbellalife.com/nature-and-adventure/national-parks/coto-donana.html

Sounds like a nice jaunt! Enjoy yourselves!!
Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20488 - 03/19/02 04:43 AM Re: Coto Doņana National Park?
nevado Offline

When we went to the Donana we stayed in Matalascanas, on the beach, in Huelva. Be sure and stop by El Rocio while you're there.
I'm sure Eddie will have some info there, he appears to be the Huelva expert!

#20489 - 03/19/02 05:40 AM Re: Coto Doņana National Park?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Nevado writes:
Quote:
... I'm sure Eddie will have some info there, he appears to be the Huelva expert!
Not an expert, but I've been there a few times visiting family at their beach condo in Mazagon. It's called a National Park but I view it as more of a wildlife (migratory waterfowl) preserve. It's just west of the rio Guadalquivir in Huelva Province. The Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio is right at its edge. Don't even dream about going there the days leading up to Pentecost Sunday (19 May this year). That's when the Romeria (aka feria del Campo) happens - they say there were a million people taking part last year (when I was nearby). Not too many places to stay around there: a Parador in Mazagon; there's a new Golf Resort - I think it may be in Matalascaņas. rolleyes
Cousin told me that at low tide some 4-wheelers drive across from Sanlucar de Barrameda. eek I wouldn't try it.

#20490 - 03/19/02 02:02 PM Re: Coto Doņana National Park?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks! I checked out the websites for Coto Doņana Park and posted questions on the appropriate message board. I also referred a friend to the "flamenco" section!

#20491 - 03/20/02 12:40 PM Re: Coto Doņana National Park?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

For anyone else who may be interested, I found an e-mail address for them: donana@mma.es. I've written for information and will give you some feedback. It sounds like a great place for bird watching.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1616 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments